HR Officer laughing at stammer!!

buzybee

I recently went for an interview in a large Co. in the south of Ireland. This was for accounting work, albeit at a lower level than I am currently at. I wanted to get into a big company. There would be some speaking on the phone etc involved in the role, but even though I have a stammer, I deal with debtors, creditors on the phone in my current job, and I have 10 yrs accounting experience.

The HR officer was fine at the interview.

2 weeks later, I was in a coffee shop, when I saw the HR officer with another girl. She had seen me as I passed by her to get to a table. I could overhear bits of the conversation. Then I heard her telling the other girl about me at the interview, and the two of them were laughing. I suppose she thought that she could do what she liked when she was off work.

I was not very upset as I am in my early 30s and I have taken enough knocks from time to time. I was more annoyed at the fact that a HR officer could act so unprofessionally and could do this. I'm sure if a HR officer (or indeed anyone) laughed at a fat or disabled person there would be uproar.

I was just thankful that I found out what she was like now. It would be worse if I had changed jobs, and then found out that a core group of people would be laughing at my stammer.

I told the agency about this, just to make them aware of this individual, in case a younger person with a stammer would be going to this company for interview.

I couldn't be bothered telling the company, as they are a very large organisation and naturally, they won't want to admit one of their own behaved like this. I always wondered why this particular company had lots of ads in the local paper looking for accounting staff. Now I know there must be a core group of people in this company who make things unpleasant for others.

The main issue I see with this is that if you didn't get the job because of your stammer, and you were otherwise fully qualified for the post, you probably have good grounds to bring them to court.

Colleen Cleary (of Landwell Solicitors) addressed such issues excellently at the recent Payroll conference. She may be able to advise you further, and let you know if you do have a case for discrimination.

There does not seem to be a question contained in the first post so I'm not clear what feedback/comment is expected.

I posted the message, as I did not believe that a HR officer would laugh at a stammer. Surely this is not professional behaviour. I was amazed at the type of people who work as HR officers for large companies. I just wanted to know if anyone else had a similar experience/had heard any negative feedback in jobs about a stammer.

People make fun of other people the whole time. It doesn't matter what position they hold either.

HR officers aren't any different to anyone else.

I also believe (although probably very un-PC :rolleyes) that most people are naturally prejudiced. In my opinion, it is a natural response to allow individuals to make quick decisions about situations. It's unfortunate, but since when is life fair?

On a more positive note, your difference could become a strength. Use the power of positive discrimination.

Are you sure that they were making fun of your stammer or could their jocularity have related to some other aspect of the interview or maybe even something else altogether? You, I and many others may not find this allegedly rude behaviour acceptable but one must remember that the people involved were carrying on a private conversation when you overheard them. As such I personally don't think that you have justifiable grounds for complaint about their behaviour in this situation other than to voice your objections to them there and then if you felt or knew that they were making fun of you. However, as mentioned above if you have verifiable grounds for suspecting that you were discriminated against in the interviewing process then that is a different matter an one on which you could have justifiable grounds for complaint.

buzybee said:
couldn't be bothered telling the company, as they are a very large organisation and naturally, they won't want to admit one of their own behaved like this.
What makes you so sure that they won't be interested in hearing your complaint?

ClubMan said:
one must remember that the people involved were carrying on a private conversation when you overheard them.

It obviously wasn't that private if it could be overheard. As a HR professional myself, I think this person has behaved disgracefully and completely at odds with what the concept of good HR is supposed to address. I find this case appalling

In behaving as she has, she has also left her company exposed to allegations of discrimination. Claims of such have been upheld in the past based on evidence a lot less tangible than this example.

If you don't go the legal route, as a minimum, I'd contact the person's company and explain that while you can accept not being successful at interview, they should be aware that their professional image is being tarnished by the lack of manners and grace being publicly displayed by one of their officials who, by virtue of the position she occupies, should know better.

Buzybee, did you hear exactly what was said or did you simply see the HR person recognise you, talk to her companion and start to laugh. Not to give excuses if this person was simply mocking you because of your stammer but we all do things everyday that others find funny and repeat to their friends. HR personal must hear some very amusing things said in interviews where the combination of the stress of the moment and the desire to impress can make us all say daft things.
I think we are too willing to take offence these days, but, that said if you did in fact hear comments mocking you because of your stammer then that is out of order. A letter to the company's MD wouldn't go amiss and because generally if a person is unprofessional in one aspect of their job then they generally are unprofessional in other areas too this may not fall on deaf ears.

Back