HP Laptop in PC World sale - 4GB RAM/500GB disk - €479

Complainer

Any comments on this model from the PC World sale?

[broken link removed]

Seems like a good spec for the money.

I got to use a HP netbook over the Christmas and found it a great little machine compared to other netbooks that I have used. Obviously not as good a spec as a laptop though but this looks a good price.

I got to use a HP netbook over the Christmas and found it a great little machine compared to other netbooks that I have used. Obviously not as good a spec as a laptop though but this looks a good price.

I bought this exact one on behalf of my brother and am planning to do the same on behalf of my sister.

In my opinion, definitely the best for the price when graphics,memory,RAM and build quality are considered.

Good brand have had them through work and they are excellent, very reliable, screen size is normal and still portable.
I had a 17" and they are too large and bulky, went for a 15.6 and it is more suitable
if you need to have it on your knee etc.

Have a look on Dell also, they are super machines have bought them for private use over the years they are great for specs price and quality in my opinion, and more custom options if you need...

I bought this model in Naas PC World - I discovered it has no recovery disk. My wife called the support line she is non technical but was told they are not pasked as standard now and you have to order them if required. I don't know how much this costs but does anyone else have information on this? seems a bit strange. You then have a W7 install but no copy?

Can you make a recovery disk on the laptop itself? I thought that most manufacturers were omitting these disks nowadays.

HP recovery disks cost about 40 euro or as Complainer says you can make recovery disks from within Windows 7 itself. There's probably also a recovery partition on your laptop as well.

We have two HP Pavilion laptops - they seem like good machines. I replaced Windows 7 with Ubuntu linux on the smaller 11.1 inch one and its working very nicely with it.

I bought a HP Pavilion laptop similar specs only 17.3 screen and AMD processor, it cost twice that price. so far there has been no major problems.
As regards backup, the hard drive C, is partioned with a D drive with the factory backup on it.
When you switch on your machine, one of the first tasks it asks you to do is make a set of recovery CDs, these are for doing a factory reset if your hard drive fails.

Back