HP Car Loan: Bank Looking To Reposses Vehicle But The Log Book Is Not In My Name

Peter54

Sometime back I took out a car loan on hire purchase. The car was for my ex partner who was incapable of getting a loan at that time so I took out the loan for her. The log book was also registered in her name.

She had always paid the full amount but has recently lost her job but is still seeing to it that a part payment is paid to the bank each month.

Obviously I am getting letters from the bank who are looking to repossess the vehicle.

Can they repossess a car that is not in my name?

I understand this is a messy situation.

It would make it difficult for them to repossess so it wouln't be straight forward.

I think the lender will have no problem re-possessing this car. You took out the car-loan on this particular vehicle, and it is secured by the loan. The fact that it is registered in your partners name is irrelevant. She has no title to the car, and they will re-possess.

Exactly what Mizen Head said. He/She is spot on. The car will be taken regardless of who is on the log book.

This topic has been raised a number of times in the past, albeit in different circumstances. There are a number of threads on people who bought cars unaware that there was outstanding finance. Take a look at the key posts on buying a car.

In these cases, their name was on the log-book, but due to the outstanding finance, they were not the legal owners and the bank are entitled to repossess the car.
Leo

Unfortunately if the lenders decide to repossess the vehicle it will also be YOUR credit that is affected not hers.... might be better for you to contact the lender and try to reach some kind of of resolution.

If over half the total finance has been paid off you can give the car back to the bank under the half rule and not pay the outstanding monies owed.

Back