How to type euros & fadas on a US bought lap top?

beffers

My lap top is US bought. It runs on Windows Vista. As it is from the US, I have a dollar $ symbol on the #4 key where Irish keyboards have a Euro symbol. Does anyone know if there is a way I can type up the euro symbol? Am sick of always having to type the word Euro in posts here and in emails.

Also want to find a way to type fadas for those occasions when I am using the oul cupla focail. Any one know where I can find it? I presume that most PCs running Windows would have a way to pull up the alphabets and symbols of non US or English speaking countries. It is just a matter of knowing what buttons to press. I hope so anyway. Thanks.

Alt Gr 4 gives me the Euro sign. I also use the Alt Gr key with vowels to get accents/fadas too.

Maybe I am being thick here, but what/where is the Gr key? I don't have one on my keyboard. I have an Alt one, but no GR one.

The lower row of keys are CTRL FN ALT SPACE BAR ALT PRINTER LOGO CTRL

Above those I have CAPS LOCK and SHIFT to the left of the letter keys and ENTER and SHIFT to the right of the keys, but no Gr key.

My lower row of keys is CTRL, WINDOWS LOGO, ALT, SPACE BAR, ALT GR, WINDOWS LOGO, FN, CTRL.

é € ...

Press "Ctrl" "ALT" and the letter key ... should give you the fada you are looking for..

What do you get when you press Ctrl ALT 4 together?

Your keyboard might not be mapped to that symbol

When I press "CTRL" "ALT" 4 together, nothing happens.

When I press them separately, I get the number 4 and nothing else.

When I press Ctrl Alt and the letter key, I get the letter but nothing else.

My laptop is only 2 years old. I find it hard to believe that the symbols for currencies other than the dollar are not in there somewhere.

My Alt and Alt Gr keys do different things - have you tried using your Alt key on the right of the space bar along with the number 4 and/or the vowels? If that doesn't work then although it's not what you want, you may just be stuck using a capital e instead of the 'proper' € symbol.

Found this that may help too - it explains how to set up hot keys which may solve your problem entirely :)

Last edited:
Can you bring up the "text Services and Input languages"?

In Windows XP
On the bottom of the screen, you might see "EN" or "US", if you see that, right click & open "Settings".. If not then open the control panel (start -> control panel), then open "Regional and Language Options". Click onthe "languages" tab, then click "Details..." button.
Separate window opens, in the settings tab, choose "English (Ireland) - Irish" in the drop down list.

That *should* sort you out. Again, the above if for XP, not too sure what it is for Vista (but should be similar)

Back