How to repair wooden floor water damage

Rois

I have solid wooden floors which were damaged by water and the top layer of wood has faded and appears to be peeling off. I need some advice on the best way to restore the wood to it's original state (or as close as). Thanks.

I was under the impression you don't repair it , as it will rot no matter what you do

We had water damage on our solid wood floor recently. The only option was to rip it up and replace it with a brand new one. There was a week of pain but we ended up with a far superior floor than the original one.

Wasn't expecting to have to do a complete replacement, is it not possible to sand it or anything else? Floor is only 7 years old.

I suppose you can, it really depends on the extent of the damage. You should really get a professional to look at it. Our floor was just over a year old when it was ripped up.

Assuming they are solid boards and aren't warped and buckled then you sould try sanding them, most solid boards can be sanded a couple of times during their lifetime. A drum sander could be used to take off the top layer and leave a nice finish. They do create a lot of dust.
Another option to consider might be a square buff, basically a viberating square sander, easier to use and not as harsh as the drum sander but may gives a very good finish. Once sanded and cleaned apply two or three coats of a two pack varnish.

I have solid wooden floors which were damaged by water and the top layer of wood has faded and appears to be peeling off. I need some advice on the best way to restore the wood to it's original state (or as close as). Thanks.
When you say the top layer was damaged, I am now assuming that It is a SEMI_SOLID ansd not a solid would that be correct. How much water did it get?

I had similar thing happen, they just buckled. Had them replaced under house insurance. Worst of of it all was the fact they had only been completed less than a year. It was a pain to go through process of having it all ripped up.

i think you may still have to get it replaced..what if the water got underneath and it rotts anyway? even after repairing top layer...

Thanks for all your help. Maybe they are semi-solid - i can't remember. The damage isn't too bad, just a few of the boards are damaged, but it looks ugly compared to the rest and not in the right location to cover with a mat. I will try sanding them to see what happens.

Remember if you decide to sand them you can only do it once.

My advice would be to get a professional in to do it properly.

Depending on where you are David Barnes 0862938658 does a good job and is reasonably priced.

I have recommended him to other posters and have yet to have a complaint back.

Back