How to operate as sole trader with UK company?

lollipop

Apologies in advance as I know NOTHING about this. So I have taken up an offer with a UK company to work as a CV writer. Amounts earned will be small (no more than 400/500 per month). I need to register myself as a sole trader with the CRO? I assume I do not need to register for VAT. Apart from registering as a sole trader and submitting a form every year to show my earnings (Form B1?) is there anything else i need to do? My background is not financial and I have never kept accounts, what sort of data do I need to keep - monthly invoices that I send to the UK company, is this sufficient? Would I need an accountant?
As I say apologies as I have only ever worked as a PAYE employee and know zero about this! Thanks so much

OK so from what I can glean, I don't need to register for self assessment as my gross earnings will not exceed 30K per annum (6K per year maximum).

(From Revenue website)
You do not need to register for self-assessment if:
  • you only have PAYE income
  • or
  • your taxable non-PAYE income does not exceed €5,000 and your gross non-PAYE income does not exceed €30,000. That income must be coded for PAYE purposes. ’Coded’ means the income is taken into account in calculating your tax credits and standard rate cut-off point for PAYE purposes. In this case, you must submit a Form 12 online through PAYE Services in myAccount.
So hopefully I just submit a Form 12 annually to cover these earnings and they will assess for tax? Assume I'll need to pay some USC though?

Back