How to open an account when one is not a resident in the country?

Mongola

Through work, I have been asked to help finding a solution to the following problem…

My boss is involved with many charities. One of them has led her to do some work in West Africa where she has met a gentleman who is a budding entrepreneur. The problem is that in his home country, there is basically no banking system at all and as his work bring him sometimes in Europe, it makes it a little complicated for him to travel (even booking flights) and do simple banking tasks that we do take for granted. At present, he would get assistance to complete those tasks through a charity who is helping him.
We would like for him to have a bank account with a card which would give him some financial freedom.

Opening an account in his home country is not an option as, as mentioned above: the banking system is next to non-existent.

I am looking for a solution that would of course be legal! How would one go about opening an account abroad without residing in that country? Is it possible? Are there any options? What if someone was to be a guarantor on the account?

I have looked at different options such as offshore accounts but this person is not a wealthy person so this is not an option. Any idea or answers as to how feasible this would be would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Mongola

Back