How to keep a (remote) eye on an elderly person

AlastairSC

I want to keep an eye on an elderly relative. Anyone know how to do this with an IP webcam? There's wi-fi in the house, so I'd like to connect to this to send images direct from the camera (rather than through a computer at that location) that are viewable on my pc at home or work or wherever I go online.

Thanks for any pointers.

I want to keep an eye on an elderly relative. Anyone know how to do this with an IP webcam? There's wi-fi in the house, so I'd like to connect to this to send images direct from the camera (rather than through a computer at that location) that are viewable on my pc at home or work or wherever I go online.

Thanks for any pointers.

What is the world coming to, keeping an eye on a elderly relative using a IP webcam what next.............

Are they any neighbours, friends nearby who can check on him/her or anyone that can call in on a daily basis.

How to keep a (remote) eye on an elderly person?

We have got her the pendant, thanks. Who it dials is unsatisfactory. It's more a matter of ensuring she doesn't fall unseen. (Alas no near neighbours or others willing to come regularly, Marietta. Some days are partially covered by cleaner, shopper etc but obviously not 24/7. No family nearby either - I'm 3 hours away. Unfortunately she refuses to move).

I thought the ip camera might fill a gap. I'm open to constructive suggestions for monitoring her well-being...

Would she be ameanable to somebody moving in with her at a greatly reduced rent in exchange for companionship. It depends on the person and whether your mother is located in a rural or urban area.

Thought of that too. Afraid not. Thus the remote monitoring. JHegarty yes to bb in-house. Anyone any experience of ip cameras. Found jabbacom.com - would anyone care to comment on it?

We have got her the pendant, thanks. Who it dials is unsatisfactory. ...................

Thats got me wondering ( not to say worrying )

Any chance you could elaborate ? ( on board or by pm, whichever you think best )

Thank you

Olddog

my monther had a pendant whcih was great
I thoughtof monotoring her llike this too but that was a few year ago and technology was less advanced and she is deceased now/

Unsatisfactory dialling - I just meant that, as no family nearby, it dials neighbours who are themselves elderly (and who won't want to leave their own house after dark), or away a lot, or who aren't really comfortable being on the list in the first place.

Anyway, as I hope you all can see, this is why I'm looking at doing the monitoring myself remotely! Thanks for the NYT article. I haven't found similar companies here but the nearest thing might be a few webcams, discreetly placed e.g. pointed near the ground, at significant locations. No consent issues. Just need advice on what to get. To return to my original question - anyone done this or know about IP webcams?

Alastair

Most of the cameras that I have tried (DLINK, Linksys from PCWorld etc ) that are less than E200 are very poor quality and suffer from disconnections, which will be troublesome for you and make you worry more.

Furthermore, you would have to have a camera in every room to make sure that your mum is 100% safe.

What about doing a deal with a local care home? I know the odd care home owner in Dublin and a lot of their business these days is calling out to elderly people who want to stay in their own homes. Maybe you could find a home like this and redirect the pendant call to their staff instead of the elderly neighbours?

I am sure there is a person in the area who would undertake to do the visiting, when requested by the monitors. I work in the area of Older People and find that many people would be very interested for a small return.
Even if the person is going out they can transfer their phone to their mobile and still be within reach.
The odd time if they are going away they can let you know and you can make other temporary arrangements. There is no easy answer ask your local Social Service for contacts. Best wishes Browtal

Back