How to keep a plant alive

S

Serenity1

Yes - I am serious.

For valentines day my bf bought me a tree. We recently moved in together and we have our planning permission for a house. He decided this would be something that we would have for our new house and for a long time. He gave me a big story about it growing as our love does etc. Anyhow it is starting to droop and the tips of the leaves are going brown. I am watering it (when i remember).

Can anyone advise me of how I can find out what kind of tree it is? He got it in woodies. It has 3 thin trunks i guess and the 3 parts have long thin green leaves. It also has 3 smaller tress growing at the bottom. Also do you water it every day or every other day? Should i be 'feeding' it some sort of plant food.

Thanks for your help!

For valentines day my bf bought me a tree. We recently moved in together and we have our planning permission for a house. He decided this would be something that we would have for our new house and for a long time. He gave me a big story about it growing as our love does etc. Anyhow it is starting to droop and the tips of the leaves are going brown. I am watering it (when i remember).

Sounds like some sort of farcial thing from a sit-com! Quick, fix the plant before the vicar arrives!

Could you maybe take it to a local garden centre pretending that you thought he had bought it there (and give them the romantic hard luck story) and they might be able to identify and/or advise?

Does it look like this?

[broken link removed]

If so I'd stop watering it. I used to have one in my office and watered it about once every two months (when the soil was so dry you could lift it straight out of the pot).

go back to woodies they have a plant"expert" in most branches talk to them and get advice. Plants usually have a plastic card stuck in the pot saying what the plant is,how big it will get and how too look after it get one from woodies for your plant

Sounds like some sort of farcial thing from a sit-com! Quick, fix the plant before the vicar arrives!

I agree :)

Does it look like this?

[broken link removed]

Thats my tree - do you know what it is called? Thats good news about watering it. So I am actually probably drowning the poor tree.
Is it an indoor tree?
Yes see pic above

go back to woodies they have a plant"expert" in most branches talk to them and get advice. Plants usually have a plastic card stuck in the pot saying what the plant is,how big it will get and how too look after it get one from woodies for your plant

That's what I though - I checked and there was none. I will go back to woodies this weekend if need be, I guess I though maybe you guys could save me the trip. Hopefully the plant 'expert' will be a littlle more knowledgeable than the paint 'expert' I recently considered strangling in woodies.

"He decided this would be something that we would have for our new house and for a long time. He gave me a big story about it growing as our love does etc. Anyhow it is starting to droop and the tips of the leaves are going brown. "

There could be trouble ahead in paradise judging by the state of the tree.

Does it look like this?
[broken link removed]
If so, it is a weeping fig. Very easy to look after but INDOORS!
Water it weekly in Winter - not too much, and feed with liquid feed in the Spring/Summer. Don't allow the soil to dry out. Sometimes it can lose it's leaves if the air in the room is too dry, so place it away from radiators in a slightly cooler room than your sitting room.
Sorry, just noticed you had already identified it.

"He decided this would be something that we would have for our new house and for a long time. He gave me a big story about it growing as our love does etc. Anyhow it is starting to droop and the tips of the leaves are going brown. "

There could be trouble ahead in paradise judging by the state of the tree.

Hense the reason I am here - A stitch in time and all that.

if it is this plant, it is a indoor plants,i have one and only water when soil is dry and it's lasted about 4 years so far [broken link removed]

Hi Serenity1,

I also have one of those plants (about 7 years surviving now!) and would recommend you keep it in a bright and sunny spot - it needs a lot of light and will not survive in a dark or shady spot.

Also, leaves will turn brown at the bottom of each mini tree as it grows - so if it is just the bottom leaves turning brown on each, then it is nothing to worry about.

Mine has grown about 2 foot in the time I have had it.

Back