How to hook up LCD TV, NTL digital and surround sound

gd2000

I have just bought a new Sony LCD TV which came with a Sony surround sound DVD system.

However, I can't for the life of me figure out how to hook the NTL digital up to the whole system. I can get the picture for the NTL digital, but I just can't get the surround sound system to pick the audio up.

Any ideas of how to make all three live in harmony?

Thanks...

It's impossible to tell you what to do unless you post more information about the components of your "surround sound dvd system" and the possible connections.

Did you get an AV Receiver as part of the system? If so, hook that up to your digital cable box, preferably with an optical audio cable.

I have two scart leads. Currently I have one connected from the NTL box to the TV and another from the amp/dvd to the tv. Surround sound works fine for terrestial and for a dvd, but when I put digital on the surround sound still plays the terrestial tv audio. If I raise the volume on the tv, the correct audio plays.

@extopia - not sure, but I'll check. I imagined that I should be able to set everything up using scart leads...

There should a sound output from the tv that you can use to send the sound to the suround sound system.

Post a model number or a link to a manual for the tv and dvd system and we should be able help.

I have just bought a new Sony LCD TV which came with a Sony surround sound DVD system.

However, I can't for the life of me figure out how to hook the NTL digital up to the whole system. I can get the picture for the NTL digital, but I just can't get the surround sound system to pick the audio up.

Any ideas of how to make all three live in harmony?

Thanks...

NTL Digital's current model of STB (the small, silver Pace one, model no. [broken link removed]) has an Optical (S/PDIF) output that will carry surround to your amp.

So, it's NTL -> SCART -> SCART on your PC (choose RGB if available)
NTL -> Digital Sound Out -> Amp

Or:

NTL -> SCART + Digital Sound Out -> Amp
Amp -> TV using highest quality linkup suppported - HDMI if available, Component Output or SCART otherwise.

Problem solved!!

The TV has an option for AV2 output (which the amp is connected to). It was set to TV by default. When I set it to Auto it switches between terrestial and digital as required!

NTL Digital's current model of STB (the small, silver Pace one, model no. [broken link removed]) has an Optical (S/PDIF) output that will carry surround to your amp.

Which channels carry surround sound, Monsieur? Never bothered hooking up the optical out from my box yet.

Back