How to hang large louis mulcahy platter on wall

tipex

I have just bought one of those large louis mulcahy platters and intend to hang it on the wall but there is nothing on the reverse side. In the shop they gave me these large round sticker that attaches to the back with a hook but even the man selling it seemed sceptical that this would hold and said I could use a "claw" but I don't want to use something that will be seen from the front. Does anyone have any experience/advice in how best to go about hanging my big plate

The only thing you can use safely is a 'claw' (didn't know that's what they're called) basically a system of expanding wire attached to 4 hooks which loop over the plate/platter, I have lots of hanging plates and platters in my kitchen and I found to my cost that they're the only thing that work, when the platter is hanging the bits at the front are barely noticeable. I'm not sure where you can buy them now, I used to buy them in the now defunct China Showrooms and the old Roches Stores. I'm sure you'll find them online.

One of the problems with the claws is that they can damage the delicate edging of plates, hugely affecting value for high quality pieces.

Re the large platter, this is what I have done:
1. display on a flat horizontal surface - large platters can make very effective displays on a console or occasional table
2. have a solidly-secured shelf made that has a lip in front (and sides) to prevent sliding off and use large pieces of blu tack or something similar 'tacky' to hold the platter in position to the wall and to the shelf - just to prevent movement - works fine.

Back