how to get red wine to the correct temp?

coleen

I was wondering is there a simple cheap device to warm red wine to the correct temperture. I have a wine rack in my kitchen but as I am out all day I only have the heat on for an hour or 2 at the most in the evening I find that the wine bottle is normally very cold. When I travel on holidays to warmer climates I think the wine is always nicer and softer and the bottle is usally much warmer. I have tried leaving the wine in the hot press but as the tank is well lagged I fell this is not much of an advantage. Does anyone have ideas on how to do this?

I bought such a device as a present for someone, I thought it looked like a bit of a gimmick but it did seem to take some of the chill out of the bottle. It's a device like a sleeve full of gel that you slip over the bottle, you 'crack' a metal tab in the sleeve which heats the gel (and thus the bottle inside the sleeve) The gel substance will harden and to re-use the sleeve you simply pop it into a pan of boiling water for a while and it's ready to go. I bought it in a gift box which also had a wine cooler sleeve. I picked up mine in a kitchen shop but as it's coming up to Christmas I'd say you'd easily find it somewhere.

Forgot to say the gift box cost about €30

Remember that 'room temperature' in wine terms was established before central heating was the norm. The ideal temperature will vary on the style of wine, but even the most powerful of Burgundys are best at no more than 18C, the lighter fruity reds are best around 13C.
Leo

I agree with Leo today's average room temperature at about 21* is warmer than the best drinking temperature so actually warming the wine might not be a great idea.

Back