How to get local enterprise office funding list

shnaek

Has anyone an idea of how to get the list of businesses supported by the Local Enterprise Office? I have been searching, but I find myself going around in circles. Is the list published, or do you need to call to the office to get the list?
Thanks!

What exactly are you looking for and why?. The range of support can be quite wide ranging, from actual grant aid to web development vouchers to advice and assistance. You might also get information via a FOI request?

I just want an example of the businesses they have supported, mainly because they have refused to fund mine and stated that if other businesses found I had been funded then they might ask for funding and they wouldn't be able to refuse. Using that logic, I should really check to see whether they have funded businesses like mine in the last few years.

I find their reason for refusing to fund my business dubious. It's the third time I've applied for funding over the last 8 years or so. First two times I didn't question it, but now I feel that I should.

Funding can be refused for a number of reasons. Majority of cases it is where
  • it doesn't fall into the remit of Local Enterprise and perhaps falls into the remit of Entreprise Ireland (LEO is now normally restricted to companies with less then 10 employees
  • the business plan is unrealistic, either in terms of sales forecasts, costs or the "go to market" approach. You need to convince them that your plan is achievable
  • It falls into certain categories that LEO don't support as it is not in their remit, - retail is the classic example of this, LEO won't support a retail outlet as it is out of scope
  • Displacement, this is where funding your business could displace jobs at similar companies in the area. In effect, why would they give you a grant to create a job if it is going to cost a job 10 miles away
  • You're not creating employement

The rules do change from time to time. What industry are you in?

The fourth reason: "Displacement" was the one they gave. My industry is video production. Small business. It's not just talking heads - I do a lot of green screen and VFX work for corporate clients here and in London. I was looking to consolidate and expand. Only 3% of Irish video production companies are based in my area, so I feel compelled to argue my case rather than lie down and accept their verdict. It's not that I was looking for a large sum, it's a question of equitable treatment and trust. I am trying to figure out whether it's right to remain in this city and country. In that regard, I am trying to figure out if I can trust LEO or not. Hence the reason I am looking for the list.

The fourth reason: "Displacement" was the one they gave. My industry is video production. Small business. It's not just talking heads - I do a lot of green screen and VFX work for corporate clients here and in London. I was looking to consolidate and expand. Only 3% of Irish video production companies are based in my area, so I feel compelled to argue my case rather than lie down and accept their verdict. It's not that I was looking for a large sum, it's a question of equitable treatment and trust. I am trying to figure out whether it's right to remain in this city and country. In that regard, I am trying to figure out if I can trust LEO or not. Hence the reason I am looking for the list.
If you are working in London then why not talk to Enterprise Ireland about support?
You can frame it in such a way that it's all about developing your export market. You are then an internationally traded service!

There is nothing to stop you appealing the decision and when you do so, the LEO grant approval board have to consider your appeal. The board is usually made up of reps from LEO, Enterprise Ireland, a local council official and external members from outside industries. If for any reason any of the board members have a conflict on interest they are supposed to withdraw from the discussion on a particular case. Board members don't get paid, (not even expenses). LEO have a finite budget and can't grant aid everything. In the past I've seen companies submit on 5 or 6 occasions, some get aided in the end and some don't. I've had a fair amount of involvement with LEO in their various guises in the past and the one thing I can say is that I've never seen them being unfair. It doesn't mean applicants always like their decisions but that doesn't mean it is the wrong decision.

My suggestion would be to appeal and potentially resubmit but talk to the LEO office first to understand what the gap is and why they see your offering as displacing existing jobs. I know you say that only 3% of companies are based in your area but if grant aiding you jeapordisies the future of those companies, LEO has to consider that in your evaluation. I'd suggest you look at those companies and see can you strongly differentiate your offering from them in any resubmission. If LEO still won't fund you then they may advise you to go down a different route.

Cheers, Purple - I'll have a look into Enterprise Ireland.

Thanks also for that, thedaddyman. I hadn't realised I could appeal the decision. It's very hard to get that kind of information from them. I'll make contact with them today about making an appeal. I understand what you're saying with regard to the 3% - in my case I created much of that work through calling into those offices and convincing them of the value of my work. Prior to my calls they were using other methods of advertising and training. I guess I just need to convince LEO of this. Not to mention the fact that the work might not even be done in Ireland were they not clients of mine.

Anyway, thanks for your advice. I suppose, on the initial question, that there is no list of businesses funded - but shouldn't there be in the interest of openness?

Back