How to fit a light in the kitchen

Sarah

The light in my new house in the kitchen looks fairly standard until you twke it down and you are faced with a circular bracket screwed into the celing with about 6 or 7 wires connected into little wihte connections (i know im prob not explaining myself very well)
Ive bought a light fitting...one of those silver bars with 3 swivel lights attached to it and its simple enough to put up as it only has 2 wires...a blue one and a brown one but my light fitting in the kitchen has 4 brown wired connected into little white bracket things and 2 blue ones and then a fatter wire which looks like a main wire but cant see the green - earth wire. Can anyone help me out at all on how to wire this up...my other half says it looks too complicated and we need an electrician but getting one of theses in my area is impossible(ive tried!) and they always charge me a fortune...had to get my cooker wired up and was charged €60!....I had wired the hob myself but there wasnt enough cable to wire the cooker as well!....Any help would be great! Thanks in advance

The wires you see are wires from source, wires to switch and wires extending to next light fitting. I haven't read it but this page seems to have all the details to help you get this job done. €60 seems cheap to prevent yourself getting electrocuted...

I fitted all my own lights in my house; my kitchen ones would be similar to what you describe. the site given in the previous post looks helpful; make sure to turn off the power at the mains trip switch, take your time and double check everything and you should be fine.

Also, make sure you label which wires are connected together in the current fitting. This will save a little guesswork down the line.
Leo

Back