How to find out how much trouble the father is in?

W

worri

Hi,

Sorry if this is a bit long, but would really appreciate any advice you can give.

The father has got himself into quite a bit of trouble with Revenue, etc. Having sold his business in the mid-90s, he kept his job there, essentially running the place while the new owners siphoned off cash and basically embezzled the business to a standstill. I think my father knew about some of this at the time, but I'm not sure. Anyway, when he did find out (a couple of years back) he started to put his own money into the company, and encouraged two other employees to do the same.

Fast forward to January last year, he and the other two left this company under a cloud and set up close by and in competition with the previous owners. It's doing alright - it's not the best climate for anyone, as we all know, and this industry is quite susceptible.

Anyway, my father is in quite a bit of debt now, and this brings me to the issue - he won't talk about it, won't be drawn on it, and essentially has his head in the sand. This leaves my mother in a really difficult position - she has worked alongside him for so long, is much more organised than him, and would never have let him get involved in something like this.

But the father's from a generation where the man handles the money, and he got a notion during the boom that it was going to keep on rocking forever. Now the fallout is (we think, we really don't know and can't know) none of the money is left - not the proceeds from the sale of the business, nor any other money that accrued over the years from land, wills, etc.

So he's been mentioned in the Indo as having a substantial judgment against him, the mother received a letter addressed to her regarding loan commitments that she never took out, he's borrowed from my siblings and I, he asked me to give him chunks of money on an hours' notice to deposit into unusual accounts...but I've an awful fear that this is just the tip of the iceberg.

His head is completely in the sand on this. He knows I know about it, but we haven't discussed it. It's hard on my mother to be in the same house as him, knowing he's lied to her and is holding facts from her, not to mention that she suspects he forged documents to get a loan in her name and God knows what else.

Family's family, but it's important we get the facts down here. Has the house been re-mortgaged, did he forge docs for loans in anyone else's name, does he owe a huge amount of money...I know he's under a lot of stress, but his head is in the sand - he seems to be depressed, which is not a surprise.

My question is, how do we find these things out? We've tried everything with this man, and my mother doesn't have the funds to get Gerard Keane or whoever on the case.

Your opinions would really be appreciated.

Re: How to find out how much trouble the father's in?

As a family you are owed some clarity, I would suggest one of two options.

1. A family meeting in which he is given no option but to come clean.
2. A written request for clarity regarding his financial position as it pertains to family property and joint borrowings etc.

I am certain that once he has included you in his difficulties it will be a weight off his shoulders. Be firm but also non judgemental as this is probably exactly why he is trying to keep thing to himself.

Once you have details it will be possible to consider some paths to a solution.

Good luck.

is this business a company. If so you can search on cro or vision-net about any charges banks may hold over the company and from that if the family home is included.

Your father as a de facto director may have signed personal guarantees.

My initial thoughts are if this is a company and your dad is no longer a shareholder or a de jure director that it is unlikely that banks etc have security etc over family assets. However the really bad news is that with the possibility of fraud and your dad being found as a de facto director your dad could in very extreme cases be seen as being personally responsible for the condition of the company.

Get an ordinary solicitor to advise.

he will do a search on the family home to see if it has been mortgaged.

Your mother should check with the Irish Credit Bureau to see her credit record.

If you have a family solicitor or family friend who is an accountant or solicitor, they might call to see your father and explain that the family is very worried. He might come clean to them.

Brendan

Lots of good advice already given but I would just add that if your father is truly suffering from depression then it is as important to try and get him to seek professional help. I know we can not discuss medical issues here so I will leave it at that.

Back