How to find a babysitter

shaking

As a first time parent I'm in the unfamiliar territory of looking for a baby sitter. Where do I start?? I'm based in south Dublin and am wondering where do people get someone they trust to leave their baby with?

Try asking your neighbours who may already have a babysitter they can recommend.

My daughter put a note into some neighbours houses,looking to do babysitting.
She got one job ( permanent babysitting )from it,which led to another two jobs..on recommendation from the first family.
She is still babysitting for them 4 years later..

check rollercoaster for sitters in your area if you can't find a recommendation in your area.
also local creche can be good source as they tend to have a couple of people going through college part time doing childcare that are up for baby sitting. also this gives you someone with experience of young kids

If you know any second level teachers, they should be able to point you in the right direction of someone. happens a lot in my school. approach a 5th/6th year reliable good student and ask them if they would be interested.

If you know any second level teachers, they should be able to point you in the right direction of someone. happens a lot in my school. approach a 5th/6th year reliable good student and ask them if they would be interested.

Excellent idea.

Approach the principal first, I'd say. Try to get a kid from your street or neighbouring street so you don't have to add to your expense by paying for the babysitter to get a taxi home

I got someone from a local creche. I just called in and asked the manager if there was anyone who did babysitting. You could always ring and enquire, and ask can you drop an ad with your number on it for them to put up (like if the manager is too busy to try and organise it for you).
At least then you know who the person is, and that they are experienced with babies.
If you go to a mother and toddler group, you could always ask around who someone else uses.

I got someone from a local creche. I just called in and asked the manager if there was anyone who did babysitting. You could always ring and enquire, and ask can you drop an ad with your number on it for them to put up (like if the manager is too busy to try and organise it for you).
At least then you know who the person is, and that they are experienced with babies.
If you go to a mother and toddler group, you could always ask around who someone else uses.

ditto

As a first time parent I'm in the unfamiliar territory of looking for a baby sitter. Where do I start?? I'm based in south Dublin and am wondering where do people get someone they trust to leave their baby with?

When we moved in in 2002 we were at a similar loss.

Aside from the Granny option, babysitters are a necessity not a luxury.

We waited until we had gotten to know our neighbours before going out much.

The daughters of both our next door neighbour and our neighbour across the road have babysat for us on occassion.

Back