How to feed a family on a budget

I feed 5 people with healthy home cooked meals for a shopping bill of €60 a week (that includes toiletries, washing detergent etc).

that's impressively low - €12 per person per day including all toiletries, non-food items etc. does that include booze (not for the kids obviously :))? You should do a post - "How to feed your family for €12 a day"

I feed 5 people with healthy home cooked meals for a shopping bill of €60 a week (that includes toiletries, washing detergent etc).

That is €1.71 per person per day, ( not €12 as suggested by another poster).

Frankly I find that hard to believe. I would love to hear how it is possible.

That is €1.71 per person per day, ( not €12 as suggested by another poster).

Frankly I find that hard to believe. I would love to hear how it is possible.

Some Examples;

Curry:
Chicken Thigh 2
Spices (roast and grind them) 0.5
Tin of tomatoes 0.7
Lentils 0.3
Chickpeas 0.3
Onions 0.1
Frozen Cauliflower 0.5
Rice 0.5
Total 4.9
Cost per person 0.98

Bolognaise (ish)
Mince 2
Tin of tomatoes (x2) 1.4
Tomato Puree 0.25
Lentils 0.3
Onions 0.15
Garlic 0.1
Aubergine 0.7
Cheese 0.25
Pasta 0.45
Total 5.6
Cost per person 1.12

Roast Chicken
Chicken 4
Onoins 0.1
Potatoes 1
Carrots 0.6
Turnip 0.7
Stock Cube 0.25
Total 6.65
Cost per person 1.33

The Chicken leftovers can make soup for lunch the next day.
Other Lunch: Leek and Potato Soup (Less than €2 for a large pot)
(Can't do the correct formatting)

Your veg prices are really low, i.e. potatoes 1 euro, I have just paid 2.50 for a 2.5kilo bag. Are you buying them loose of something.

Reactions: jim
Your veg prices are really low, i.e. potatoes 1 euro, I have just paid 2.50 for a 2.5kilo bag. Are you buying them loose of something.
I buy a large bag and use some of them at a time. Same with carrots, onion etc.
I go to the discount section of the meat section in Lidl and try to get stuff that's near its use by date as it's 30% off.

I buy a large bag and use some of them at a time. Same with carrots, onion etc.
I go to the discount section of the meat section in Lidl and try to get stuff that's near its use by date as it's 30% off.

You are marvellous for budgeting so well, few can do what you do. Two of us and our grocery bill nearly touches 80 to 100 every week.

Does this mean you think you should be in line for a tax hike on your income? You know, after that whole top 20% pay too much tax debacle?
It's not about me, it's about what's best for the country (the medium term interest of society as a whole).
I'm not complaining, I'm still well paid but I've a lot of fixed overheads.

It's not about me, it's about what's best for the country (the medium term interest of society as a whole).
I'm not complaining, I'm still well paid but I've a lot of fixed overheads.

So yes to a tax hike then if you are one of the 80% contributing to only 25% of total tax take?

You are marvellous for budgeting so well, few can do what you do. Two of us and our grocery bill nearly touches 80 to 100 every week.
I buy whole spices. They last for years. A few minutes on a hot dry frying pan (Tablespoon of Coriander seeds, tablespoon of Cumin seeds, a Cardamon pod) and a blitz in a coffee/spice grinder (£18 on Amazon) and they are great. Add in a half tablespoon of turmeric and a teaspoon of chili powder and it's ready to go. I grow my own herbs so I've fresh coriander as well. Some Ginger and a the juice and zest of a lime if budget permits.

I buy whole spices. They last for years. A few minutes on a hot dry frying pan (Tablespoon of Coriander seeds, tablespoon of Cumin seeds, a Cardamon pod) and a blitz in a coffee/spice grinder (£18 on Amazon) and they are great. Add in a half tablespoon of turmeric and a teaspoon of chili powder and it's ready to go. I grow my own herbs so I've fresh coriander as well. Some Ginger and a the juice and zest of a lime if budget permits.

I don't believe you. You'll have to prove it :D

Ha! Ha! You are a gas man!
Instead of you getting a tax hike, why not high earners take a pay cut like you? Everyone wins, a fairer tax system and increased competitveness!
I was one of the people who cut my pay. We lost a big customer earlier in the year due to the collapse in oil prices. The choice was cut pay and cut people on the shop floor or for all senior managers to take large pay cuts. The latter was fairer and more sustainable in the medium term. It's about fairness and the medium term interest of the company. We were the ones who weren't doing our jobs properly (i.e. anticipating what was, with hindsight, obviously going to happen)so we had to take the hit.
People here get paid what they are worth. No more and no less. That means some people on the shop floor are on €90,000 a year and some are on a little over the minimum wage. Nobody is on the minimum wage for very long though as if they are not increasing their value add to the company they will be thrown out.

Back