How to earn the maximum interest on my lumpsome??

Astro_man

Hi all,
I would really appreciate any
I have 100k to my name after saving hard for the last few years.
I will not need to access it for the next cuple of years, so i just
want it to earn maximum interest
I have it invested so far as follows...

80K with RABO DIRECT -----Earning 3%
(Used to be 4.7% before the recession!!)

25K with HALIFAX -----Earning 4.50%

Does anybody have any ideas as to how i could more wisely
invest this money to make as much interest as possible.
Am i silly having a big sum like 80K still with RABO??
Any advice would be really great...

Are you mad to have the money with Rab? Yes, at such a low interest rate.

A one year term deposit (no access) for one year would seem to suit you. The best rate is 5.25% with Anglo Irish.

Investec have a 6 month term deposit at 5.58%

Are you mad to have the money with Rab?Yes

:confused: Give me a break their one of the safest banks around.
Their rates may be poor but at least your money is safer there than in other institutions. I'd be more concerned about the return of my capital than the return on my capital in the current climate.

The best rate is 5.25% with Anglo Irish.

Christ almighty. Anglo has just been run into the ground and is a worthless bank. Are you really recommending people put their hard earned cash in there? I know its deposits are state guaranteed etc etc but that means sweet FA IMHO. Can you guarantee the OP that the state can afford to pay out on this guarantee should it be required to?

Investec have a 6 month term deposit at 5.58%

Have you seen their website? Looks like it was designed by a 5 yr old child. I'd sooner give my money to my nephew to mind for me.

I'll get my coat.

For that amount combined with the fact that you dont need the money for a number of years I would haggle with all the banks to get the best rate, dont accept the printed offers.
Remember the Gov Guarantee expires next Sep, while it may be extended, be carefull going beyond that date.

Harsh words there Dellboy!

Investec are offering the best rates on a 6 month term deposit, saying that you don't like their website is hardly a reason for not putting your money there. The OP is looking for the best return on his money and this is what Fungus's advice gives him.

As for Anglo the money is state guaranteed I don't see how the governement can renege on this?

Back