How to dye a couch

Just the One

Hi folks,

I have loose covers on my couch and I want to get it dyed. Someone suggested getting the dye from Hickeys but to be honest it is not an option.

There are six cushion covers which would need a pack of dye each and then for the main cover you would need about five or six packs and you probably won't get the mix exactly the same.

Does anyone know where I could get it dyed? or have any suggestions for me?

I would imagine Upholsterers should be able to help. Check out the Golden Pages.

You could get it re upholstered.but thats quite expensive-we got a 3 seater couch done for €800.If you were able to take off the material-there are dyes you can buy in roches stores which im sure you could use onsofa fabric.-as you said it would be difficult tho.

Are the covers machine washable, if so Dylon do a -in your machine- dye which is excellent. All you need is the dye (if you buy the same lot number you should be OK with more than one batch though I have never tried this) and bags of salt. Pop in your items to be dyed with the salt and the dye, turn on and walk away. When it is all finished run an empty 'load' to clear out any residue and you are done. I have used this dye lots of times and find it excellent, no mess, no fuss, very even colour. This dye is widely available, our local centra even has some.

I dyed my couch covers a few years back. I used dylon ... lot and lots of it ... the results were great. I don't think there is anywhere that dyes professionally ... so you will probably have to use your machine. Failling that ... could you comendeer a machine in the launderette and put the whole lot in together? Good luck whatever you decide.

I forgot to say ... the colour does fade pretty fast in the dyed covers ... especially in the sunlilght ... we had a chair at a window and the sun bleached the back of it almost back to it's original colour.

Back