how to apply for job in property i.e. - estate agency.

gailey

I wish to work in property, ie.estate agency.I have no experience in retail so I know I have to start at the bottom. I have looked into the part time course for auctioneering and estate agency and unfortunately I have to work in property in order to do the course. I am now looking for a position in an estate agency. I will be happy with admin just to get foot in the door. However as estate agencies don't advertise for staff I am thinking of sending cv and cover letter to local agencies. Has anyone any advice? Am I better off sending application electronically or simply by post or just cold calling at local estate agencies. I have looked at IAVA and IPAV websites and there are no job vacancies available for the town where I live. Am I wasting my time applying for a job in property with no relevent experience? I would welcome any advice.

I would apply electronically and then follow up with phone calls. You probably have to accept that you will be on a very low wage to begin with, but if you can afford to work for a low enough wage I'm sure you could get in somewhere.

Many estate agents do advertise for admin positions on www.irishjobs.ie. Off the top of my head I can name at least 3 top estate agents in Dublin who are looking for somebody with good admin skills to work in their head offices.
In terms of getting your foot in the door as an estate agent - many will not even consider you if you don't have a minimum qualification. Normally they tend to prefer the SCS course or the IAVI course, both of which I think are run by the DIT in Dublin.
If you go to interview for an admin position, don't mention the fact that you want to study by night for Estate Agency. Most companies are wary of hiring somebody who is not a long term prospect and not interested in working as admin. It is an extremely long and intense course as far as I know.
However, if you have a base business degree, there is a conversion course run by a college in the UK that you can study in order to convert your qualification. Some of the estate agents would consider you for a junior position so long as you have a commitment to study this course which can last for up to 3 years but can be done in as little as 18 months.
Salaries for junior estate agents are very small as far as I know & trainees are normally recruited directly through colleges or via recruitment agencies.
HTH

Back