How schools are letting our young children down

Whether there is a derogation there or not is wrong... Surely.

It might make sense but it is still wrong.

If it's ok to discriminate based on religion then why not have a derogation for race or sexual orientation?

But hay, we don't want white Catholic kids being taught or influenced by some (insert 'N' word) fag!

Now if that didn't sound ok to you then saying that you only want Catholic teachers teaching Catholic children should sound equally offensive.

There should be no need for the derogation. Teaching professionals should be well capable of teaching a syllabus even if they themselves don't necessarily have personal belief in its contents.

There should be no need for the derogation. Teaching professionals should be well capable of teaching a syllabus even if they themselves don't necessarily have personal belief in its contents.

I agree. In practice many teachers have little or no belief in Cathlic teachings but just do their job.

As far as I know, the B.Ed. training in St. Pat's Drumcondra or in Mary I in Limerick would include that.

I'm sure the teacher can separate their own personal feelings, from the curriculum.

Now let me see I want to be a primary school teacher in Ireland but for very personal reasons I cannot abide the Catholic Church, so what do I do. Well let me see first lesson in B.Ed training, say nothing, go though the motions, get qualified and get a job. Kinda important when 92 percent of schools are Catholic.

Just curious as I don't know, when being interviewed for a teaching job, can you be asked your religion?

In Ireland if you dont want a church wedding, you are restricted by the HSE's rules on a civil ceremony, which include things like having to be indoors, having to have a seperate room available for the registrar, only being allowed to get married between 9-5, mon-fri etc...

You don't know how lucky you are to have such options, at least things are a lot more advanced than when I got married in a hospital board room.:mad: To this day people still think we are not really married. :)

Hi di74,
I always wondered about primary school teachers teaching RE in schools. To teach it then I would think you would have to be trained up on it in various teacher colleges? So if the teacher isnt religious, how does that work?
As in, if a primary school teacher is a non believer how can he/she teach a subject that they dont believe in? This brings me to a further question... Can a Muslim or or someone of Jewish faith become a primary school teacher in Ireland, outside of an educate together school?

Obviously if you dont wish to answer, please ignore these questions :)

Yes I was trained in college to teach RE at Primary level.
I'm not religious...I just teach it.
When interviewed I was asked was I happy to teach the RE programme which was a requirement to employment in my school.

On a personal level I hope sacramental preparation moves outside of the teaching day. In my classroom each year I have children of various faiths and those of none. I would much rather teach about different religions, faiths, customs and heritages of all children than the blanket Catholic RE that I am required to teach. Each year I get the non-Catholic children to talk about their faith......last year my kids were fascinated with a Jewish dradle.

Back