How much to tip a hairdresser

Status
Not open for further replies.

LMNOP

I just got a cut and highlights which cost me 165 euro. I think this is very expensive, but I am willing to pay it as a cheaper alternative just dosn't cut it (excuse the pun).
How much should I tip, given that I am happy with what I got? 10% adds another 16 euro to the cost which is a lot. Also, a senior stylist does the cut and a junior did the colour, which takes the longest. Do I tip both?

Thanks

I'll probably get slated for this but I'm not part of the tipping culture. 165 yoys for a hair cut should cover any tip you would be willing to give. Crazy money. If you hired a washing machien repair man for an hour would you tip him?

At that price they don't deserve a tip. Is that the going rate for a cut and highlight? How long did it take?

I agree with you, but there is an expectation that certain services should be tipped. I don't want to sit there for an extra hour while they finish off everyone else’s hair cos ''shes the one that doesn't tip''.

wow, that was an expensive hair do. I dont think you'd be expected to tip the 10%. If I was to give a tip to anyone it would be the junior as the trainee wages are very low. And give it to them directly.

My sister recently qualified as a hairdresser and she is quite happy with the €1 tips she receives because of the prices that her boss charges which are quite excessive too.

I have to say I've paid up €190 for the same, but usually (to my shame) give a tip (approx 10%) to the main stylist. You're right tho - 10% is extortionate and something I'm planning on doing no more of.

I must say i'm flabbergasted by the type of money being discussed here. I never thought i'd be happy to be a balding male!

I must say i'm flabbergasted by the type of money being discussed here. I never thought i'd be happy to be a balding male!

It is scandalous. Could prob get the same job done for €50 cheaper, but it would just be 'fine' (this fine has to last 3 months).

Can't afford to feed the kids tonight, but at least their Ma looks great!:D

I just got a cut and highlights which cost me 165 euro. I think this is very expensive, but I am willing to pay it as a cheaper alternative just dosn't cut it (excuse the pun).
How much should I tip, given that I am happy with what I got? 10% adds another 16 euro to the cost which is a lot. Also, a senior stylist does the cut and a junior did the colour, which takes the longest. Do I tip both?
Are you typing this as the staff wait with bated breath for the outcome?

Are you typing this as the staff wait with bated breath for the outcome?

LOL!!!!!

There may well come a day when people stop mid-action and say "Wait! Let me see what AAM posters tell me to do next..."

We might yet take over the world! :)

I never tip my hairdresser. I have been going to her for 3 years now............and she always treats me the same as any other customer - tipper or not. If she started to treat me diff because I don't tip I would go to someone else becuase I don't think this is acceptable behaviour.
Don't tip because you feel obliged to.......do it becuase someone has gone that extra bit to either do a really good job on your hair or has been extra helpful etc.
A number of people I know give a tip at xmas rather than throughout the year.

There may well come a day when people stop mid-action and say "Wait! Let me see what AAM posters tell me to do next..."
I get the impression that for some people around here the action could be as mundane as tieing their shoelaces or taking their next breath of air...

My girlfriend is a junior stylist and up until recently (she's been training for 2 years) she was on a paltry salary. What got under her skin the most was that despite doing most of the work on a client the senior stylist would get the tip. So if you're goning to tip at all give it to the junior as they've got the toughest job in the place.

It is scandalous. Could prob get the same job done for €50 cheaper, but it would just be 'fine' (this fine has to last 3 months).

Can't afford to feed the kids tonight, but at least their Ma looks great!:D
That reminds me of my Domestic Science teacher in 1968 told us that if we felt like buying a bottle of nail varnish and that it meant not buying butter for our childrens' bread - we should go for the nail varnish, as the children would be better with a well turn out mum and that eating dried bread for a couple of days wouldnt do them any harm.
Was she ahead of the times?

Just shows that conspicuous consumption didn't necessarily start with the Celtic Tiger! :)

I'd usually tip 2 Euro to the stylist and the junior....and yes guys..it costs that much to look good!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back