How much did you pay to have outside of your house painted ?

"Cherry pickers are simple platforms that can be lifted to different heights by means of a hydraulic system. Also known as a boom lift or basket crane, a cherry picker can be utilized for a number of different tasks, many of them unassociated with agriculture. While some models require two people to operate the machinery, many modern designs allow one person to control the hydraulic system using controls that are mounted on the platform. "

to the OP:

Why did you get a warning letter?

There are literally hundreds of houses up here that have been up for a few years and aren't painted.

Is it a requirement of building a house?
Just FYI, the OP is based in the UK.

just to clarify, the house is in Ireland but I live in London. If I owned this size of house in London then i would be a multi millionaire and a very happy person indeed !

just to clarify, the house is in Ireland but I live in London. If I owned this size of house in London then i would be a multi millionaire and a very happy person indeed !
So an Irish council has issued you with a letter instructing you to paint the house? Which local authority is this?

Longford CC - from the date we got retention they gave us 3 months to get the house painted and 5 months to get the trees in (all of which I hope to achieve by end of April) - just studying the trees as I write this to order up next week and painting starts on 23 March.
If we dont comply with the warning letter within 28 days of receiving it then we will be issued with an enforcement notice and a fine or even a prison sentence as per the letter - bunch of jokers ! - i havent even got a bath installed yet !

Of course I can google it, but I'm sure that other people want to know what it is so it's better when people use unknown terms that everybody understands. I had a fair idea it was a lift, me I used to use a ladder but getting too wise and fearful of breaking a limb to do that now and I'd prefer to pay someone else anyway.

Can't believe Mosstown you've to paint a house, the amount of new houses I've seen down through the years that weren't painted (last thing on the priority list, after the fencing, garden levelling and driveway etc). You're 3rd quote sounded reasonable to me for a large house (6 double bedrooms!). If you're short of cash and don't want to do all the work maybe a friendly chat with the county council planning department might be in order.

Back on topic... I would go for 3 coats of paint. As the house was never painted the first coat has to act as a primer, so is often watered down to soak into the cement. Although I have just looked at the Dulux site and it just says (lash on) 2 coats, I suppose that is the modern way or is it just modern hi-tech paint!
Remember, if the first coat does not stick, you will spend the rest of your days regreting the day a paint brush touched the wall, and not just every 10+ years when it needs a fresh coat! I would be tempted to hold off painting it and see what happens, but chances are the fact you got letter is from a local complaining!

Don't worry, Bronte:)

Can't believe Mosstown you've to paint a house, the amount of new houses I've seen down through the years that weren't painted (last thing on the priority list, after the fencing, garden levelling and driveway etc). You're 3rd quote sounded reasonable to me for a large house (6 double bedrooms!). If you're short of cash and don't want to do all the work maybe a friendly chat with the county council planning department might be in order.
Maybe the council will say that perhaps you should have built a not-so-large house, say 5 double-bedrooms and then you'd have the funds left to paint it properly?

Complainer - the OP obviously has the funds if he's getting a painter to paint it, so don't know where your getting that implication from!

He asked for peoples advice on cost of painting his house, not an irrelevant unfounded speculation on his financial affairs!

Longford CC - from the date we got retention they gave us 3 months to get the house painted...........

Was the colour stipulated ?

Perhaps you could comply by painting with a clear silicone sealant or even dilute PVA ?

Or, indeed, perhaps with water ( as applied by nature )

Complainer - the OP obviously has the funds if he's getting a painter to paint it, so don't know where your getting that implication from!

He asked for peoples advice on cost of painting his house, not an irrelevant unfounded speculation on his financial affairs!
It was in response to Bronte's comment that I quoted above it, i.e. "If you're short of cash and don't want to do all the work maybe a friendly chat with the county council planning department might be in order." Just for future reference, when I quote someone else in my post, there is a good chance that my post refers to the quoted material.

Mosstown - are those prices labour only? I have a quote for a similar house of €2,300 including paint. 2 or 3 men and a few days. Slim

Slim, yes price just for labour - bought the Dulux Weathershield in UK, good bit cheaper. The main parts of the house and garage are going to be painted in Sandstone and Gardenia on the corner stones, window reveres and cills and black on the plinth.
dj01 - i am a "she" not a "he" not that it matters anyway.
my husband has already painted the two dormers on the roof before the slates went on with 2 coats and the coverage quality was grand.
Towjer, no way am I holding off, Council want me hung up, nothing to do with the locals, just throwing their weight about, might have to get our local council man after them !

So I am off to Ireland this Saturday morning on the first flight out of Stansted and on the first flight back Sunday morning. need to fine tune some measurements as buying all the bathroom fittings, oak handrails, door hinges, locks, door handles etc and the list goes on and on and dig out the paint for the painters, check their insurance etc.
Going back to Ireland then again on 1 April till the 19th April, going to leave the husband in Ireland to get on with the internal work of the house (he is a carpenter) - painters will have outside finished by 2 April and I am going to order 25 semi mature trees from Fermoy Nurseries and the planting will be supervised by myself and have a couple of labourers lined up for the first two weeks of April.

Then back to London to catch up on workload whilst I have been flapping about in Ireland. Oh joy, I hope it will all be worth it. Kids start new primary school in Sept which I am sure will be shock to their systems. Going from a very multicultural school of 450 kids to a local village school of 80 kids. I hope they settle in well or I will then have real problems ! much bigger than problems with the Council !

Back