How much coinage is hoarded in Ireland?

I lodged 30euro in bagged coins in local credit union this morning - its part of the 480e which I counted out over the last few weeks. They'll said they'd take 30e a day from me but it has to be lodged to account. So they lodge it and then I withdraw it straight away :). Opens 2 late evenings a week so handy if you are working 9-5 hours.

Johnboy45 - different credit unions have different rules, unfortunately mine does not allow lodgement of coinage at all.

Like others, I honestly don't understand this accumulation of coins.

As soon as the coin purse bit of my wallet starts to bulge even slightly I just spend the coins. Loads of ways to do so - sweets, parking meters, tolls, petrol etc etc It's never really a problem.

I don't get it :confused:

Coins accumulate during the year but end up in the Trocaire box around this time - thought that's why it was invented ;)

have since 2002 a old beer barrel and did dump all the coppers in it
Barrel is almost full now
question now is witch bank will take and count it for us when its full??

hi all

we put most our change into a container at home and when its full i bring it to my local PTSB and lodge it into my visa account. when the container is full there can be anything up to €800 in there and the PTSB has never had a problem taking this off me. although sometimes my arms are hanging off when i get into the branch. i always try to pick a quiet time to go in as would hate to see a queue forming behind me whilst they weigh all the bags.
then i can go and buy something nice and pay for it on the cc.

forget them coin machines that charge commission... just count it out and get it bagged.

i also tend to carry a lot of €1 and €2 euros around in my bag and i find that when a shop sees you have change they want it all... found this mostly with clothes shops..

all the kids in this house also seem to collect money boxes and have a few bob in all them so i would imagine that at any given moment there could be €500 in coins floating around the house.

Back