how long should a bed last ?

melody

I bought a bed in a sale i paid 700 euros for it the price before the sale was 1400 .
3 yrs later the bed is falling apart

Depending of course on how much use it has had ;) but I would have thought that a bed would last much longer than that.

Probably about 10 years. I think it is recommended you change your mattress every ten years but it sounds that it's the bed itself and not the mattress that is your problem. Is there a guarantee?

I agree, up to 10 years for a decent bed - minimum of 5 years lifespan. Hopefully you have a guarantee of some sort, if not from the retailer check directly with the manufacturer?

Yeah, you should get at least ten years out of a bed but the mattress is the most important part and should be changed more regularly. If not, turn it over every few months.

I bought a bed in a sale i paid 700 euros for it the price before the sale was 1400 .
3 yrs later the bed is falling apart

It really depends on what forces are been applied to the bed, an engineer s view.:D

I makes me cringe, a 15 year old mattress, if you think after 1 year the average weight of a pillow doubles due to what is now living in it and its pooh!

FACT!

I makes me cringe, a 15 year old mattress, if you think after 1 year the average weight of a pillow doubles due to what is now living in it and its pooh!

FACT!

I regularly shampoo and degrease the mattress and finish it off with a deep hoovering to help dry it off. The mattress come up as clean and as fresh as the day it was bought.

Using a mattress cover/protector and a fitted sheet also helps protect it from the vigours of life.

Pillows have a very short life span and get binned regularly.

No need to cringe ..... I'm no slob ....

I regularly shampoo and degrease the mattress and finish it off with a deep hoovering to help dry it off. The mattress come up as clean and as fresh as the day it was bought.

How do you shampoo and degrease? With what?

A good mattress should last 10 years. The bedframe should last a very long time if it's of good quality.

I have an 'odearest' bed (base splits in two, solid rectangular box type)and mattess bought for about 300IEP 15 years ago and it is still perfect and I also have one in a rented property of the same age.

I have a varirty of stuff ...

kleeneze ... Carpet and Upholstery Cleaner
Vanish PowerShot (a carpet stain remover product)
Liqud Vanish

and if I come across something else .... I try that too.

Good old fashioned elbow grease, applied with a sponge, dried with a towel and to be sure I use a wet/dry vacuum on it as well. I let it air dry before I use it again ..... it comes out pristine.

The key to my mattress lasting .... cleaned regularly, well covered and turned every 3 to 4 weeks.

Some mattresses are no turn ones like mine! I have a protective covering....not the horrible plastic ones!.....but I must try the shampoo job, sounds a good idea.

I'am in the dark are you refering to a mattress or hb and ft bd. If it's the mattress call up the seller if no response call up the manufacturer of the mattress. If it's the bed hb and ft bd check if it's ahook-on or bolt on washer can stabilize a bolt on. If it's a hook on the cylinders may be worn out. And check if you use a center support.

I have never heard of a bed falling apart or waring out..as op above says... is it the mattress your talking about because thats a different story.

FACT!

Er, no, demonstrably not fact (capitals optional). Otherwise we'd all need to be weight-lifters to turn over our not-brand-new pillows.

A good quality two sided mattress should last at least a good 10 years. Obviously a non turn mattress will only last about half as long. Lower quality mattresses will also last less, but at €700 it should have lasted a good 10 years.

What was the make and model?

Back