How Long do Old Debit Cards remain 'Active'

pudds

I thought they would be cancelled immediately after activation or first use of replacement card.

I got a new Ulster Bank visa debit about 4 weeks ago but I've just bought some stuff on Amazon with my old card and the money has been taken out of my account, so it's still active.

Rang them and got the old card cancelled, he wasn't even sure if he could do this for me but it worked. He agreed that it should have been automatically cancelled on activation of new card but this guy didn't fill me with confidence in what he was saying.

Can anyone confirm if an unexpired old card can remain active for a period after a new card is in use as I think I saw something when googling around that an old card remains active for up to 4 weeks.

It will stay active up until the expiry date. Hence they tell you to destroy old cards once you get your new card.

With AIB they cancelled my old card before its expiry date and before I had first used the Visa Debit card.

Wasn't too happy about it especially as I was caught in an embarrassing situation as a result.

Back