How long do banks hold records of forms etc?

wbbs

Regards potential ppi claim, customer has requested copies of application forms etc for mortgage which is still in force, bank says nothing is on file further back than 6 yrs, is this correct? Thought it was something like records had to be held for a term after end of relationship but this account is still active, maybe I am wrong?

Oddly enough they have been able to produce some of the documentation but not the form in dispute!

Normally such forms are kept in storage at a remote location.

They will probably want to charge a silly amount to retrieve them.

Normally such forms are kept in storage at a remote location.

They will probably want to charge a silly amount to retrieve them.

I would like to know more info on this also as I need to get details of wire transfer 7 years ago and the bank say they don't keep records for longer than 5 years. I desperately need the records. Any thoughts and comments would be welcome.

One of the roles of the DPA, is to ensure that companies only keep data that is necessary for the operation of their business. Once a mortgage has been signed, there is not much need for application forms etc, it will be kept for some time at the outset, but beyond 6 years would be a bonus to my mind.

Under the Consumer Protection Code Aug 2006.
ALL individual transactions MUST be retained for 6 years after the date of the transaction. eg direct debit Jan 21st 2007 MUST be accessible to consumer until Jan 21st 2013.
The ACTUAL initial contract must be kept for 6 years from WHEN it was STARTED.
{a lot of times contracts are accessible for longer}

Back