How long before ex-rental becomes PPR?

N

nampara

I am based abroad and bought a rental property in Dublin in 2003. I am thinking of returning to Dublin and am wondering how long I need to live in that rental property before I can sell it as my Principal Private Residence (PPR), thus lowering the CGT?

For instance, in the USA, if you live in your PPR for 2 out of the 5 preceeding years then you are not liable for CGT when the property is sold (up to $250k profit if single, or $500 if married).

Is there a similiar formula for the Irish Revenue? I've searched the archives but can't find an answer.

Thanks,
Nampara

It becomes your PPR as soon as you live in it full time. But you will always be liable for CGT in relation to the time that it was rented out. So it has been owned and rented out for c. 4 years so far. If you lived in it for 2 years and sold it then you would still be liable for CGT on 4/6ths of any resale gain. The longer that you live in it as your PPR then the less the proportion of any resale gain that becomes assessable for CGT but the rental period CGT will never disappear. You should also get independent, professional advice.

Back