How do we pay the CAT if we don't sell the house?

Twoflutes

My brother and I are set to inherit a house from our uncle who died. The house is very valuable and there will be a sizable tax bill, even after the threasholds. As my brother already lives there, he wishes to continue to. He has offered to pay my share of the tax bill (as I cant afford it) so he can stay in the house for at least seven years, rent free, then we would come to another arrangement. For tax purposes , would this be a gift?. It comes to around 70k, so about 10k per year.

I would structure it like this

- Inheritance tax is €70K
- Joe lends James €70K.
- James pays this back at €10K per year for 7 years ( approx, with some extra for interest)
- Joe pays James €10K per year for rent and house maintenance ( which nets off against the loan repayment)

This is both fair, and there is no tax liability

then we would come to another arrangement.
you need to work out what the arrangement is now.

What exactly is the 70k for?
Is it a loan for you to pay the tax, and you owe the 70k back?
Or are you giving a share of the house in exchange, so you no longer own it 50/50?
Or is it advance payment of rent from your brother, you don't owe him anything and still own 50% in 7 years?

you need to work out what the arrangement is now.

What exactly is the 70k for?
Is it a loan for you to pay the tax, and you owe the 70k back?
Or are you giving a share of the house in exchange, so you no longer own it 50/50?
Or is it advance payment of rent from your brother, you don't owe him anything and still own 50% in 7 years?
So I should be more specific. The tax owed on the estate is from a trust. Long story, but this trust was mismanged over years and the end result is that we owe a total trust tax including interest of about 140k. My brother is willing to pay the total trust tax owed, to clear the bill, in return for him having use of the property for the next 7 years. We would both still own the house 50/50

So I should be more specific. The tax owed on the estate is from a trust. Long story, but this trust was mismanged over years and the end result is that we owe a total trust tax including interest of about 140k. My brother is willing to pay the total trust tax owed, to clear the bill, in return for him having use of the property for the next 7 years. We would both still own the house 50/50
You definitely need to decide what exactly happens after 7 years. If your brother is living there and cant afford to buy you out, or indeed pay rent, (as you mentioned the house was valuable) it could get very complicated.

Very strange post with regard to value of house v rent? You say it's a very valuable house, yet the rental value is only just over €800 per month. Something not right in all of this? On top of that, there's Local property tax, insurance, possibly water, etc.

Very strange post with regard to value of house v rent? You say it's a very valuable house, yet the rental value is only just over €800 per month. Something not right in all of this? On top of that, there's Local property tax, insurance, possibly water, etc.
well, for a start, it would be only 50% of total rent if the OP is joint owner

well, for a start, it would be only 50% of total rent if the OP is joint owner
Rental income will be impacted by his brother living there. It is going from a property for rent to a room for rent. You can't rent it out to a family, just individuals looking for a house share.

Rental income will be impacted by his brother living there. It is going from a property for rent to a room for rent. You can't rent it out to a family, just individuals looking for a house share.
The way I am thinking is that he owns half the house, and his brother the other half. so he is basically renting his half out to his brother, who then has the whole house ?

Back