How do I tax apprentice after 20 weeks in FAS?

nolo77

Our apprentice came back to us after spending 20 weeks in FAS. How do I handle his tax? If I continue as normal then he'll pay no tax having had a break of 20 weeks in employment. I'm inclined to tax him on a week one basis so he won't end up having to repay tax at year-end. FAS made no deductions from his basic allowance and we didn't get a P45 at the end of his stint. It's coming to the end of the tax year and I'd like to do things properly. Any advice?

while he was in fas he wasn't paying tax because he is being treated as if he were self employed in a way. because he wasn't on the tax system he will have built up tax credits for the 20 weeks he was in fas for. if he is only a first or second year apprentice will he be paying tax at all? have a look at www.revenue.ie for more info.

Thanks aido79. I will take your advice. You're right, this employee won't be paying tax but we have a 3rd year apprentice who is about to start his next FAS phase and I decided to find out for once and for all what the correct procedure is. Previously, I've just paid them on a week 1 basis for the rest of the year, but I don't want to wrong them, tax-wise.

Thanks for the advice. In case anyone is interested, I rang the Revenue yesterday and they told me that FAS benefit is not taxable and we just pick up where we left off on the payroll and the employee gets a tax refund and/or a few weeks paying no tax.

Jasus, when I was an apprentice FAS did not pay me, the company did and I got taxed. I went onto the higher rate of tax as a second year apprentice (loads of overtime)... how times have changed.

question 4 u im a self employed plumber 5 year now,took on a guy before christmas he is a 2nd year.dont know if i can afford to keep this guy,but would like to try and hang onto him,did u find this problem at first how can i overcome it?do i just need to advertise or get through my work quicker?

Back