How do I know if this guy is receiving free legal aid or legal service?

aelig

I recently receive a solicitor letter from the cowboy builder who renovate my house (please read my previous posts). I know this guy is hiding his income (Tax evasion, social welfare fraud, receive cash payment only, etc), there is no way he is taking out money from his pocket to hire a solicitor. I contacted legal aid board to enquiry whether this guy is in receiving free legal aid/service, but I was told they can't disclose solicitor/client information. I probably will end up to pay high legal costs which I shouldn't be as I suppose to be the victim. So how do I know if this guy is receiving free legal aid/service which he shouldn't eligible to?

"The Legal Aid Board provides legal advice and legal aid in civil cases to persons who satisfy the requirements of the Civil Legal Aid Act, 1995, principally, a person’s means must be below a certain limit and there must be merit to the case."

That is from the legal aid board own website, it seems as long as a person passed means test, he is eligible of receiving legal advice and legal aid including civil cases?

There is a very, very long queue at the Legal Aid Board. Aid is generally given only for family law cases these days. Builders just don't get legal aid to take actions against their clients.

I recently receive a solicitor letter from the cowboy builder who renovate my house (please read my previous posts). I know this guy is hiding his income (Tax evasion, social welfare fraud, receive cash payment only, etc), there is no way he is taking out money from his pocket to hire a solicitor. I contacted legal aid board to enquiry whether this guy is in receiving free legal aid/service, but I was told they can't disclose solicitor/client information. I probably will end up to pay high legal costs which I shouldn't be as I suppose to be the victim. So how do I know if this guy is receiving free legal aid/service which he shouldn't eligible to?

I am sorry to hear this is how this is turning out.

This guy is coming after you for money he alleges you owe him?
If you have proof of your assertions and intend to defend your position then do so.
If not or if you don't want to defend your position, then you may wish to consider settlement terms.

The substantive issue seems to be whether or not the work he did is compliant and whether you owe him money for it.
The issue of how he deals with income is AFAICS none of your affair and you should be careful what you post to a public bulletin board.

I seem to recall you had extensive suggestions offered to you on another thread as to how best to deal with this matter a good while ago.
You were looking for advice in relation to some matters no-one responding could competently comment on - eg. the price of the electrical work.

You received a suggestion to obtain competent professional advice yet the content of you posts to date suggests you didn't do this.
I am becoming concerned that it is beyond the scope of this forum to comment in detail on disputes like this.
You have already had several detailed suggestions which you appear to have ignored.
Now matters appear to have escalated, but AAM cannot be your oracle

ONQ.

[broken link removed]

All advice on AAM is remote from the situation and cannot be relied upon as a defence or support - in and of itself - should legal action be taken.
Competent legal and building professionals should be asked to advise in Real Life with rights to inspect and issue reports on the matters at hand.

The other poster is right. Civil legal aid is only given for family law issues. There's no way he'd be getting it for this sort of thing.

Back