How do I know if an estate agent is bluffing?

Estate agents are up to all sorts of tricks. I know of a well know agent who wanted to reduce the value of a house (I won't go into the details here), so a couple of good soaking with hose up in the attic was called for. It was left for a few weeks with windows closed. Then it was valued...

So now estate agents are involved in criminal damage in order to procure lower valuations, are you for real?

"I know of a well known estate agent...." If you know why not name him! A hose in the attic would cause an electrical short as the water ran into the light pendants. It would find holes in the ceilings and drip down the walls. I wonder if you just made all this up?

"I know of a well known estate agent...." If you know why not name him! A hose in the attic would cause an electrical short as the water ran into the light pendants. It would find holes in the ceilings and drip down the walls. I wonder if you just made all this up?

One of my properties suffered a burst pipe - like raining inside over xmas when tenant's had gone home and I don't know how many days but the electricity still worked. That was the first thing we had to worry about as it was dangerous (water transmits electricity).
Towager I believe you - it's amazing what people will get up to if they are greedy enough. The answer to the original question is how long is a piece of string. OP you just bid what you want, have a maximum amount, be happy if you get it for that and if you don't you walk away as there will always be another perfect house.

Why not name the agent if it's true. It's easy to write anonymous b****hit, if it's true be brave and name the leading Agent!

He can not name him as AAM could be sued for slander. How would you be able to prove it happened in any case.

Mods, you're probably going to delete this, but am I the only one thinking:

"How do I know if an estate agent is bluffing?" because he's opened his mouth? Sorry, eventually had to give in.

Why not name the agent if it's true. It's easy to write anonymous b****hit, if it's true be brave and name the leading Agent!

Eh no. Serious problems for the owners of the site if anonymous posters start spreading rumours/innuendo and allegations.

I think Brendan's veiw is that anyone who wants to name and shame is free to parade up and down the street with a placard so long as they accept responsibility for their own actions.

mf

If it looks like b******t, and smells like b******t, it's probably b******t.

Be a man and admit you made it up to enhance a story in a moment of madness. The we can all go and get some work done.

Mods, you're probably going to delete this, but am I the only one thinking:

"How do I know if an estate agent is bluffing?" because he's opened his mouth? Sorry, eventually had to give in.

Giani on page 1 beat you to the punch.

Dont be silly, Brendan values his house.

So does that mean that spouting wild accusations are fair game so long as they tarnish a profession rather than a professional.

So does that mean that spouting wild accusations are fair game so long as they tarnish a profession rather than a professional.

Relax, it is only one story conserning an estate agent, I have a couple more involving different estate agents, which I won bother going into.

Go on Towger be a man and admit it's total bull!

If you want to share other wild and wonderful tales maybe you should start them off with " I knew a fella who had a friend who heard about a bloke whos' cousins Aunties sister heard about this guy who..............."

Go on Towger be a man and admit it's total bull!

If you want to share other wild and wonderful tales maybe you should start them off with " I knew a fella who had a friend who heard about a bloke whos' cousins Aunties sister heard about this guy who..............."
Hi John, you have only 26 posts so you should be slower to judge others motives. If you or MrMan (who battles bravely alone for his profession) can prove that Towager has a reason to spout lies about estate agents there might be more notice taken of what you say. Personally I don't think that their profession is any more corrupt than any other.

Relax, it is only one story conserning an estate agent, I have a couple more involving different estate agents, which I won bother going into.

I'm not intimating that you have made it up its just that if you stand back and dissect the story it doesn't add up. I have no doubts that some of the stories that you are aware of will have a large degree of truth to them just this particular one seems odd to me.

If you or MrMan (who battles bravely alone for his profession) can prove that Towager has a reason to spout lies about estate agents there might be more notice taken of what you say.

Its not the making up of stories that bothers me its the ease in which they are accepted. I know I'm in a profession with a dubious past which has been the fault of the profession and its lack of regulation but every profession should be looking at ways in which they can turn around perceptions and actually do something to enhance their reputation. The NAR in the states have gone to great lengths to do this and apparently it has seen great improvements in public perceptions. Off topic and sounding repetitive but its all I have!

I don't care what profession he is talking about, and I don't mind whether you pay attention to what I have to say or not. I do wonder why you are taking some much trouble to defend him, when he hasn't bothered to defend himself.
I just hate it when people make stuff and try to pass it off as fact. If he cared to admit it was a pack of lies I would be delighted to forget about it.

How cute that some people here seem to regard estate agents of paragons of virtue.

True story: I recently met a FOF who is expecting. Herself and her husband recently went to view a house. The estate agent as per usual cooed over the house, especially as my friend mentioned she was expecting - why, it even overlooked a school.

As they were leaving, she noticed a strange thing - a group of people had congregated around the house next door. Her, being no shrinking violet, went up to them to ask what was going on. Well, it was a welcoming committee of "concerned" locals for a known paedophile about to be released from prison. And yes, his house also overlooked the school too...

Needless to say, the friend wasn't too impressed and rang the agent the next day to find out why they hadn't imformed her of this minor factoid. The response was along the lines of "not my problem, love".

P.

Needless to say, the friend wasn't too impressed and rang the agent the next day to find out why they hadn't imformed her of this minor factoid. The response was along the lines of "not my problem, love".

But what makes you or anyone so sure that the EA knew about all this?

Perfectly conceivable that they didn't IMO.

How cute that some people here seem to regard estate agents of paragons of virtue.

True story: I recently met a FOF who is expecting. Herself and her husband recently went to view a house. The estate agent as per usual cooed over the house, especially as my friend mentioned she was expecting - why, it even overlooked a school.

As they were leaving, she noticed a strange thing - a group of people had congregated around the house next door. Her, being no shrinking violet, went up to them to ask what was going on. Well, it was a welcoming committee of "concerned" locals for a known paedophile about to be released from prison. And yes, his house also overlooked the school too...

P.

You mean the EA hadn't vetted all of the neighbours to see exactly who lived where, my God how unprofessional.

Back