How do i cook a Sunday roast?

lou2

I'm cooking a Sunday roast for the first time this evening (usually go to he mammies for dinner!). Any tips for cooking a good Sunday roast with trimmings (particularly roast spuds)? I have a lump of beef on the bone.

My spuds hint - par boil the peeled spuds. Allow to cool (a bit), wrap in a tea towel and agitate. This gives them nice rough edges. Season with salt, pepper and whatever else takes your fancy. Then when roasting, add to a baking tray of hot oil. Guaranteed crispy roast spuds!

i second the parboiling advice. But when they're parboiled I allow to cool a little bit, then drizzle olive oil and season, and then lightly coat with cornflour (or any flour if you don't have cornflour) yummy.

Another vote for parboiling potatoes - but to be more specific, put potatoes in cold water, bring to boil and allow to boil for 3 mins. Drain, put lid back on saucepan and bash them around a little, then chuck into hot oil (if there is room in the meat roasting pan, this is perfect). Cut up peppers, mushrooms, onions, sweet potato, butternut squash, garlic and put in another roasting tray with some olive oil and if you like it fresh rosemary and/or thyme - roast in oven for about 30 mins. Cut carrots into battons and put in ovenproof dish with a knob of butter, and cover tightly with foil. So far everything is cooked in the oven. If you want to boil vegetables on hob, reserve the cooking water and use to make gravy - use bisto powder.

Not one for the weight watchers or the cholesterol level so I have given this recipe up but its very tasty:

Parboil the potatoes and use the juice/grease from a previously cooked chicken. You can freeze the grease from the chicken and just cut a chunk of it anytime you need to use some. Baste the potatoes regularly with this and they're yummy.

I always cook a roast very slowly in a pyrex dish with a lid. Cover the meat in water and cook for 4 to 6 hours @ [FONT=&quot]
170 c and about an hour before the finish deadline remove the lid and let it brown turning it regularly - yummy again.
[/FONT]

I remember being not too long married and we were inviting over friends for dinner and cooking was not my strong point so I had my roast with water or juice or whatever you might like to call it in the tin and I cut my potatoes and put them into the tin also. Ended up with soggy spuds. I often think of it and the lady herself was a fabulous cook. Don't know what she thought of the whole thing but I suppose we all have to learn sometime.

Back