VHI How do I compare a plan equal to or better than PMI 37 13?

NOAH

An elderly couple late seventies need a plan for best value but similar cover to PM1 37 13? Cost is €1075 each pa.

How do I compare plans and what suggestions if any please? I went to HIA site but got 41 comparisons!!

NOAH,

VHI PMI 37 13 plan is the cheapest VHI plan that covers the 3 hi-tech hospitals Dublin.
Cheaper plans would mean a drop in hi-tech hospital cover or an increase in the private excess amount.

A similar priced plan with Laya is Simply Connect @ price 1100pa.
1. Laya Simply Connect; price 1100pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered. Private hospital excess 150 x 2 max per year for all
admissions - regardless of how many per year. Day case excess 50 per procedure. Good day to day cover included, 50% refund for consultant
visits, etc. Full cover, 100%, for hip or knee replacement surgery in any private hospital. The 150 excess does not apply to this type of surgery.

2. VHI Company Plan Plus Level 1.3; price 1123pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private hospital excess 150 per admission
and 50 excess per day case procedure. Good day to day cover included, 50% refund for consultants, etc. 80% cover for hip or knee
replacement surgery in any private hospital. Blackrock Clinic do not pass the 20% shortfall charge onto the patient, other private hospitals would.

[broken link removed]

Regards, Snowyb

thank you. Reported back and was advised that they need same cover!! but cheaper and it was on the radio that you can get it!! Is there such a plan no!! What is considered a hi tec hospital, are these just Dublin? We are close to cork/galway/limerick.

NOAH,

The 3 hi-tech hospitals are all in Dublin - Blackrock Clinic, Mater Private and Beacon hospital.

I heard the radio item they are talking about, and it referred to more expensive plans that are on the market a long time.
The plan they are on would be one of the plans that other people would be switching to, in order to save money.

I would just draw your attention to an important issue with VHI plans for older folk and orthopaedic surgery(hip and knee replacement surgery).
The majority of VHI plans have just 80% cover for this type of surgery in private hospitals, which means that the 20% shortfall would be charged to the patient. This is relevant to their plan VHI PMI 37 13.
The cost of this 20% shortfall is 2000 - 3000approx. Note; the Blackrock Clinic in Dublin does not pass this charge onto the patient.
Just something to be aware of, as other private hospitals would pass this cost onto the patient.

Laya plans fully cover hip and knee replacement surgery in all private hospitals, no excess or no shortfall.

Regards, Snowyb

Perfect, they like VHI! I am with LAYA and as regards the hip Laya made me wait 2 years to get full cover as the plan I had with VHI was only 80%. They reasoned it was only 80% cover when I switched and then after the 2 year wait period I get 100%. I waited and stopped golf and the hip is still reasonable.

Merry Christmas.

Back