How do I claim the new Mortgage Interest Relief?

You have to ring them. I have got 5 statements for 23 already and keep ringing to ask for 22 you get them in a day or two.

just wondering what to do in my situation.

Ive 2 mortgages in the south. Myself and the wife work in the north. We pay our taxes to HMK. We dont do yearly tax returns to the south (as like 1000's of people living along border).

I fixed both mortgages in April 2022 for 10 years (super rates compared to today). Maybe I'm not entitled to anything?

I dont want to make an enquiry with revenue. i dont want an audit. I do have a PPS number, but haven't used it since 07.

is it fair to that people can only avail of the tax relief thru their credits? what if one doesn't work in the state?

Why isn't this done thru the bank like the Mortgage relief pre 2012? that was fine, I was getting the relief back i was entitled to.

any advise would be appreciated.

just wondering what to do in my situation.

Ive 2 mortgages in the south. Myself and the wife work in the north. We pay our taxes to HMK. We dont do yearly tax returns to the south (as like 1000's of people living along border).

I fixed both mortgages in April 2022 for 10 years (super rates compared to today). Maybe I'm not entitled to anything?

I dont want to make an enquiry with revenue. i dont want an audit. I do have a PPS number, but haven't used it since 07.

is it fair to that people can only avail of the tax relief thru their credits? what if one doesn't work in the state?

Why isn't this done thru the bank like the Mortgage relief pre 2012? that was fine, I was getting the relief back i was entitled to.

any advise would be appreciated.

So you don’t pay any income tax in Republic of Ireland and (unless I’m reading in wrong) haven’t paid any since at least 2007 but now want some of everyone else’s tax back?

Reactions: Leo
So you don’t pay any income tax in Republic of Ireland and (unless I’m reading in wrong) haven’t paid any since at least 2007 but now want some of everyone else’s tax back?

yes that is correct.

Myself and my wife dont pay tax on our wages in the south, but we do pay taxes on our mortgages. whats the problem?
We both live in the south, pay the household tax charges monthly, pay esb, food and everything in the south - so whats the problem?

Im allowed to work in my natural hinterland, which includes the north. the GFA allows for that.

Im allowed to work in my natural hinterland, which includes the north. the GFA allows for that.
All that might be so, but it doesn't mean you can claim a reduction in a tax you do not pay! The rules of the scheme are quite clear:

You must have an Income Tax liability to offset against to benefit from the Mortgage Interest Tax Credit.

All that might be so, but it doesn't mean you can claim a reduction in a tax you do not pay! The rules of the scheme are quite clear:
How is that fair then? I pay my mortgage like anyone in the south. Under the GFA there is tax recognition between both states.
That's why this tax return should be done thru the bank as it was in 2012.

How is that fair then?
There are many who would say paying the majority of your taxes to another state while availing of the services and benefits that the rest of our income taxes pay towards is quite unfair. To then think you are entitled to a reduction on a tax you don't even pay beggars belief.

Anyone know how long it takes for the refund to come through? I applied for the mortgage credit last Tuesday (yes I know I'm impatient, but Revenue are normally super quick with getting through tax returns and sending refunds!!)

:-( almost 4 weeks now, and Revenue still haven't looked at my PAYE tax return with the mortgage credit backup.

Presume it's not relevant for fixed rate mortgage as the interest will be same as previous year.

A heads up for those whose mortgage was sold to a vulture fund. When you get your end of year statement and your Certificate of Interest. Calculate the interest charged on the statement to see if it equals the amount shown as charged on the Certificate of Interest. In ours with Mars Capital, the Certificate of Interest shows about €780 less than the interest charged on our end of year Statement, ie one month of interest in October not included. The BOI statement and Certificate of interest has the same problem for a lesser amount.
Has this happened to anyone else and if so how did you get it corrected? I've called and emailed several times with no satisfactory response.

Back