How difficult is it to fit Cruise Control retrospectively?

jinty

Hi

I'm looking to buy a second hand car and a lot of them seem to not have cruies control. Can anyone tell me how difficult is it to get it installed retrospectively?

Thanks.

Jinty

It's possible - in some cases it may be prohibitively expensive. Take a look at this: [broken link removed]

Just curious - is this for driving in Ireland? Is there a road in Ireland where cruise control would be of use - maybe only as a speed limit compliance aid?

I would think it will prove to be very expensive - think of all the electronics that have to be linked up - accelerator/brake - various control switches - dash .... and then you'd have to get the manufacturer to certify that particular car. Have a look for cars with it pre-installed.

giddyup - in answer to your question - I use cc on M4 regularly - just set it to 120 when past Maynooth exit and maybe only have to enable/disable a couple of times depending on traffic until Athlone - (slowing down for toll of course)

Thanks guys,

That dervman website is quite good, giddyup but I don't think I'll be fitting it myself :)

I used to be of a similar mind but I have cruise control now and I always use it on all the motorways now. It's somehow relaxing.

Jinty.

I have cruise control now and I always use it on all the motorways now. It's somehow relaxing.

Relaxing while driving at 120km/h???

I too use cruise control on motorways but I don't see it as an aid to relaxation!

Just buy a car with cruise already installed, can't be worth the hassle of trying to put it in.

Hi

I'm looking to buy a second hand car and a lot of them seem to not have cruies control. Can anyone tell me how difficult is it to get it installed retrospectively?

Thanks.

Jinty

What type of car is it? Sometimes you can get a genuine cruise control setup installed easy enough.

giddyup - in answer to your question - I use cc on M4 regularly - just set it to 120 when past Maynooth exit and maybe only have to enable/disable a couple of times depending on traffic until Athlone - (slowing down for toll of course)

Good to know - it's been a while since I've been home and I couldn't think of a road where it would have been useful. It's great on the interstates here - I turn it on - point the car in the right direction and have a wee snooze.

Thanks Everybody,

I'm looking at either a Focus or an A3. It should be fairly standard - right?

Jinty.

Thanks Everybody,

I'm looking at either a Focus or an A3. It should be fairly standard - right?

Jinty.

No idea about the focus.

The some of the A3's can be retrofitted with genuine audi parts cruise control. Depending on weather the car is pertol or diesel you will need....a new stalk with the cruise contol switch, loom to power the stalk, loom to fusebox inside drivers door and to relay's under the dash. If it's a petrol car a loom from the relay's to the ecu. The ecu will need to be removed and the loom connections added to the ecu's connector.

... It should be fairly standard - right?...
Yes, if you know what you are doing. On the A3 (and other VAG cars) the ECU must be checked to ensure that the Board Network Controller (BNC) is suitable for Cruise Control and after all the physical connections are done, the car's ECU may need to be reprogrammed to make the cruise control operative. This is not a job for a DIYer.

Yes, if you know what you are doing. On the A3 (and other VAG cars) the ECU must be checked to ensure that the Board Network Controller (BNC) is suitable for Cruise Control and after all the physical connections are done, the car's ECU may need to be reprogrammed to make the cruise control operative. This is not a job for a DIYer.

Can be enabled with vag-com once the hardware is installed.

Back