Housewarming gift ideas?

1308dorina

A friend of mine has just moved into a new house.
I have no idea what to buy for her. We would be relatively close but not best buddies or anything.
This is her second home and i did the candle and wine present thing the first time round so I wanted to think of something different to buy for her this time.
She's been married for a year now so has all the toaster, clock, etc type presents already.
Anyone got any suggestions? Also, how much is the norm to spend? I was thinking €50 but maybe that's not generous enough.

A voucher for Dunnes or the like? So that your friend can get whatever she needs herself, and it can match her existing items. I suppose it's like the Great Wedding Present debate; not much point in giving her stuff she probably already has.

€50 is plenty imo.

As someone who is just moving into a new place I think vouchers are your best best.

NEXT have really lovely homeware so she's bound to pick up something nice in there.

I got my friend a little Coriander plant - they have lovely one's in habitat - you just add water to the packet - the herb is already planted in the soil. You get a few (they're 7euro each) and she could have her own mini-herb garden on her windowsill.
A flowering plant or bunch of flowers is also very nice thought. You dont need to spend much if its evident thought went into the present.

I was recently invited to a housewarming and brought them a hamper from Harvey Nicks foodhall - different pastas, sauces, chutneys, teas, coffee etc. I spent euro 70 and it was a substantial hamper (overdid it to be honest so euro 50 should do it). I bought the stuff you wouldn't really fork out for yourself if you catch my drift.

Of couse, I ended up getting a little too drunk and decided that their guest room was so fab that I curled up on the bed and point blank refused to go home but gleefully told my hubbie to head off, I'd see him in the morning!:eek:

i think something like a newbridge silver picture frame or mirror is personal but not too personal if you know what i mean-and you can pick them up for around €50-they are always presented well and i have never heard anyone not like a gift of newbridge silver

cocktail receipe book, cocktail shaker and nice cocktail glasses! hiccup!

i was given a variety of different pressies when I got my own place and although i genuinely didnt like some of them - I felt I had to display them - so now Ive got a few items round the place that Id really rather not - if you know what I mean :)

My favourite pressies were vouchers. That way I could get something to my own taste. A close second was food/drink items.

Although the idea of the Newbridge (or other ornament type) stuff is nice - if its not to a persons taste then theyre stuck feeling like they have to display it.

We got a gift of the last Jamie Oliver cookbook (Cook with Jamie) as a housewarming gift recently and it went down very well!

Concur with Jazzhead.

You have already done your bit by buying a housewarming present for the first house, no-one expects a pressie everytime they move house surely?

Wait until you are invited to the party, then bring a bottle suitable for shots.

Back