household moisture and condensation problem.

riddles

Hi,

I'm in the midlands area and have had the cavity walls pumped - since then there is a moisture problem on the bedroom window and downstairs patio door.

Is there a company that you recommend I could get to assess the overall situation and apply a permanent solution. I have trawled through different boards and applied various solution with no favourable results so far.

thanks,
r.

I don't know a company that would help but might be a good idea to get a dehumidifier to help until you can get someone to have a look. I have the biggest Delonghi. It is brilliant. Will take about a day and a half to fill up the tank.

The rooms where the moisture is showing need venting. While the de-humidifier does take moisture out, it also does a lot more as well, not always good. EG, If you had wallpapered walls, the de-humid would take moisture from the walls and lead to paper drying out, not great either for wooden floors, paint, etc, etc. Rooms need a certain amount of moisture, the de-humid does away with that.

With the cavity walls pumped with insulation then you can get more condensation on glass surfaces as these are going to be the only cold surface now. I agree with noproblem, the problem is most likely inadequate venting in affected rooms. First check if vents are present and not blocked.

Coincidently.... there was an item on this subject (condensation after installing cavity wall insulation) on BBC Radio 5 live on Saturday (14th). Seems this is a bigger problem in the UK than the industry pros will admit to. The programme spoke of several instances of where the insulation had to be removed... In one case an entire estate was affected.... brickfaced wall seem to be most affected...

http://www.aaadamp.com/condensation.html
We tried these guys. Not cheap, but with infants in the house we couldn't put up with damp and mould growth.

The whole premise is that houses are almost too well insulated, to the point of being almost sealed off. At the same time kettles, showers, dishwashers, washing machines, tumble dryers, etc all putting lots of moisture in the air that cannot get out. This is not a big problem if your house is constantly warm, as the air will hold the moisture, but if heating is off at night or whilst out during the day and air temperature drops then the moisture has to go somewhere. Usually in the form of condensation on a cold window or North facing wall. It all makes sense.

Thanks for the updates yes its a brickfaced wall. DerKaiser did you have the PIV installed throughout the house and if so do you have a ball park cost? Is there much of an ongoing running cost.

The message from the BBC R5 programme was that the dampness was due to rain penetrating the outer face and crossing the insulation in the cavity. But as you say moisture generated indoors doesn't help. I tell my wife and daughter to crack open a window when using the hair dryer....

Coincidently.... there was an item on this subject (condensation after installing cavity wall insulation) on BBC Radio 5 live on Saturday (14th). Seems this is a bigger problem in the UK than the industry pros will admit to. The programme spoke of several instances of where the insulation had to be removed... In one case an entire estate was affected.... brickfaced wall seem to be most affected...

That podcast may be here http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0528r7f

Back