Household clearance rubbish skip or dump

Woodie

I have to clear an apartment in South County Dublin and have a couple of bulky items settee, chair, old carpets etc to dump. It's not a huge amount but is too much for a car and something like a Hi-lux or small skip would do I assume.

I understand that the dumps centres in SCD do not accept something like vans or hi-lux, is that correct?

If using a skip which size would be good for a 2 seater and chair plus about the same bulk in other rubbish?

Any help appreciated from anyone who has done the same.

I had to do the same a few years back and contacted the dump in Ballymount to explain to them that I was disposing of household contents and waste and would be using a trailer on the back of a jeep to move it and would they take it? They agreed to even though the jeep was a commercial vehicle. I actually went up to explain my case and moved the stuff the same day - they are very accomodating if you speak to them directly.

A midi skip would be big enough for that. You could even break down the two-seater so it takes up less space.
Leo

Thanks for the advice about approaching teh recycling centre, that's interesting to know. I'd be in the Dun Laoghaire Rathdown / Shankill area if anyone knows if same in that area?

A midi skip would be big enough for that. You could even break down the two-seater so it takes up less space.
Leo

Thanks Leo, that will be the option if I can't dispose of myself. Residents in the scheme can a bit difficult about skips because parking is limited and they have time on their hands. But if needs must I'll do that.

If the sofa/furniture is in anyway usable take some photos and put them on jumbletown (or freecycle, there's a few of them) and you'll have someone to take them away pretty quickly.

Saves you a few bob and stops it going to landfill.

Carpet can be cut up and put in your standard bin (can the bin-police please not jump on me over this, there's no difference to dumping in a skip & putting in the bin!)

If the sofa/furniture is in anyway usable take some photos and put them on jumbletown (or freecycle, there's a few of them) and you'll have someone to take them away pretty quickly.

Saves you a few bob and stops it going to landfill.

Carpet can be cut up and put in your standard bin (can the bin-police please not jump on me over this, there's no difference to dumping in a skip & putting in the bin!)

Believe me if there was a recycle alternative I'd do that as I hate having to dump but this stuff is just too far gone. The bins are out too becasue they are communal, so the on site bin police would go mental:)

Have you a hatch back car ? Break up the furniture and cut the carpet into one yard squares. Even if you need two trips its cheap enough this way. I believe Ballyogan still allow cars, about half way down the new tram lines on your right coming from Leopardstown.

Thanks to all. It's sorted the pickup was able to fit the stuff and go to dump.

Back