Household Charge

ger1983

Hi I received a letter today saying I am in arrears of 200euro for the household charge. I only purchased the house on 9th April 2013 and did not realise I had to pay this charge. I assumed the previous owner was up to date this is the first letter we have ever received warning us. I see that the house hold charge was for 2012 would we have a case to argue against paying this?

Your solicitor should have ensured that the seller had the Household Charge paid.

It looks as if your liable for the 2012 charge.

From the Household Charge website:
You will require a Certificate of Discharge when selling/transferring ownership of a property. This certificate will be evidence of payment and will confirm that the Household Charge in respect of the year(s) concerned has been paid.
If a property is exempt from the Household Charge you will require a Certificate of Exemptionwhen selling/transferring ownership of a property.
If you are eligible to claim a waiver, a Certificate of Waiver will be issued following validation of your claim.
Either of these certificates can be obtained by contacting Household Charge Support Centre, PO BOX 12168, Dublin 1 or LoCall 1890 357357 or 01-4853695 .
The certificates are important documents and will be required on sale or transfer of the property concerned.
You can read more here:

[broken link removed]

Got same letter. Rang and told them I didn't own the house then and they were fine with it. Stupidly the website which the letter directs you to doesn't have this option to say why you're exempt, so you do have to ring and wait on hold...

We got the same letter, only purchased house in March 2013. It can't be right to have to pay this charge for a house we didn't own at the time. I've emailed our solicitor to check whether there was a certificate of discharge. We rang revenue and were told we must pay it which differs from what BazzaDP said.

Well I thought there must be some mistake and that they would reconsider our liability for this charge. Also the letter did say that the records may be incorrect.

Back