Household budgeting (Groceries/Toiletries etc) for a family in the recession

The old Home Economics book from the 80's/ 90's - All about Home Economics - is great for this type of thing.
I still have a copy that I dip into for basic recipes.
Just be careful if you're watching your weight, as they tended to add things to make recipes more 'nutritious' that we probably would avoid nowadays. Extra eggs, butter, that sort of thing. Just use the basic recipes.

I actually have the old family cookbooks!
My personal favourites for more modern cookery are Darina Allen, Catherine Leyden, Jamie Oliver and Nigella - but although I own cookbooks by some, I would be more inclined to google specific recipes.

I find some of nigella recipes have hard to get ingredients. I also have to cover my eyes when she's eating. No one eats food like that.

Jamies 30 minutes meals was a good program to watch but he would often use €10 worth of basil for one dinner and his own body weight in lemons.

Nigel Slater is my current fave. He did a nice chowder and wholegrain mustard lamb steak last week. It's on bbc on friday evenings.

I own one cook book by Rachel Allen given to me as a present but I have yet to use it. All my recipes are downloaded or torn out of mags/newpapers.

I find some of nigella recipes have hard to get ingredients. I also have to cover my eyes when she's eating. No one eats food like that.

Ah I wouldnt watch her!! I have 2 of her cook books and in both of them for any of the hard to get ingredients she suggests easier substitutes. Maybe its different on the telly.

Yeah Jamie Oliver is mad for the lemons, Ive noticed that. Although I did suggest growing your own herbs earlier.... ;)

Ive a tendency to want to try a thing and I google it and find a few different variations and I make it up between them to suit my ingredient set.

But there are some things that are beyond me. Try as I might Ive never been able to make carbonara thats nice. Or curry.

I make a nice carbonara (well I like it). It was based on a recipe from a blogger in limerick (can't find it). There's no cream, just egg yoke and Parmesan. I scatter the parmesan over the pasta and then stir in the yoke rather than trying to get the paste right, saves time too.

Rachel Allen curry with sweet potato curry is nice too.

But I've gone off topic.

A tip I heard is when you have a little left over veg / spud but not enough is to freeze it over a few weeks until you have enough to make a soup.

That sounds like a lot of work Becky to get a soup?

I had a look through the Mabs guide. Very good and basic, good place to start. Interestingly it didn't have bacon and cabbage, or Irish stew. Both really simple meals, easy to make, cheap (though for me lamb is very expensive) and nutritious.

Steiner you've great ideas for cheap desserts. Also easy is custard with stewed apple. I used to like semolina too. And rice pudding with a spoon of jam.

Personally I love looking at Nigella. Not sure what that says about me, my OH also loves her.

Another poster mentioned about not eating too much meat. For the kids I do pasta with home made tomato sauce. Very large pot, olive oil, garlic, 1/2 carrots, 2/3 celery sticks, lots of tomatoes, basil and parsley, S&P. It's a bit of work but I can get at least 20 dinner out of it by freezing it. Really handy when you want something quick as it's easy to defrost and most pastas only take 10 minutes. We add grated cheese, parmesan or a mild chedder on top or on the side is what my kids go for. It's great for those days when I'm chauffering them around.

In light of the hot topic of the moment I was wondering would a thread about how people budget on 200 Euro a week for groceries for a family of 2 adults and 4 teenage children can be done. Economically, cheaply and nutritiously would be important factors.

Groceries has to include toiletries and household cleaning products.

Also ideas for the cheapest family meals.

AAM does not have a form called budgeting so I've posted here, if it's the wrong forum please advise.

Hi there, we are the same size family and here's what we do.

We buy our meat (a lot of chicken) at the start of the month from a certain place, it's not really relevant where, as you can get special family offers in most places, I seperate and bag them and take them out as I need them.

This has saved me a fortune.

The trick is to do up menus that you all like.
Ask the kids their favourite meals and then yourself and husband, and already you have covered 4 days, a sunday roast is 5 days and you can juggle the other two days.

We have a budget of 260pm for meat and this works out at less than 9 euro per day. For that we get plenty.

I don't buy my fruit and veg in bulk. At most I buy for 2/3 days (I appreciate that everyone wouldn't have the time), but I found that buying too much fruit put everyone off and the veg didn't hold great. I used to blanche and freeze it, but it is a bit of work if you are restricted for time. I buy what I know the family will eat and I don't throw out half the fruit I used to.

Stock up on tinned tomatoes, these are great and versatile for making your own sauces. Check out your dry cupboard and add plenty of herbs and spices, experiment a little.

For example, I make a huge batch of bolegnese on a Monday, we use what we want and then I add chili powder (and/or kidney beans if you like) I freeze it and a few days later we'll have a chili, if there is any left over then have burritos for lunch the next day, simply heat the sauce a bit, throw it into wraps in an oven proof dish and put some grated cheese on top, heat in the over for a few minute, add some our cream and off you go, kids love them.

For cleaning and toiletries I always buy on special.

Try to seperate into 4 groups. (use your own preferences, just giving you an example) and only buy what is on special, even if you pick up one thing it will save you, as it's when you need it then you pay more.

Week 1. detergent and dishwasher items.

Week 2. toilet roll, kitchen towels.

Week 3. Shampoo, shower gel, toothpaste.

Week 4. Cleaning stuff.

You can build up your little stock, nothing blows a budget quicker than having to buy all the detergents etc when shopping for food.

My tip, buy Lidl or Aldi brands if you can't afford to stock up on the brand specials, if you run low on something if it's not on special just get something to tide you over.

As has been said by ajapale, keep an eye on "specials", if they are on an aisle outside, go to the main aisle to check that there aren't better offers, I used to make the mistake of pulling from the special aisle and then one day I noticed a brand that was cheaper.

Also be careful of "big value packs", many times I have seen if you buy two smaller packs this can work out cheaper.

Check out your local supermarket "reduced shelf", you can pick up bits here that you have to use on the day or the next, but you can get the makings of a meal for a bargain.

I popped into Dealz in Blanchardstown the other day and got a pile of stuff - Fairy Liquid, Shampoo, etc....all the same makes and dead cheap. Also a great fan of Heatons for bed linen (Clerys last year) and toiletries.

Back