House sale after 5-7 years.

Lo12345

Greetings,

I'm seeking guidance regarding a few questions in relation with the purchase of a house.

I currently find myself in the process of acquiring a 3-bedroom end-of-terrace new house in Enfield for €390,000 (plus an additional €30,000 in other costs). All amenities are within 1km of property.(Train, bus, school, restaurant, beautiful walk, canals). The primary motivation behind this decision is to escape the burden of high rent (€2,000 per month) and secure a suitable place to call home for the next 5 to 7 years, with family plans on the horizon.

1. Does it make sense to invest in a 3-bedroom house for such a relatively short period, given that we're a couple in our late 20s?

I am entirely open to any suggestions, advice, and personal experiences from individuals who may have found themselves in a similar situation.

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
So the total cost is €420k including all transaction costs (conveyancing, stamp duty, survey etc.)?
What sort of mortgage - term, rate etc.?
How will the ongoing mortgage repayments (plus mortgage protection etc.) compare to the alternative of renting for €2k p.m.?
Nobody can say what, if any, capital appreciation you may benefit from over 5-7 years.
Of course this is not a purely financial question but the finances are important.
It may really need a Money Makeover post in order to get better feedback though.

Hey thanks for response. Yes, total cost €420k includes all transaction - house cost, Solicitor, stamp duty, furniture, flooring, survey, etc.
Mortgage term = 35 years. first 48 months 3.65 %.
Mortgage repayments - €1432 + €120 (mortgage protection, life insurance, bins & any other cost) = €1552.

I'll rephrase this post and post in Money makeover for feedback.

Thank you so much for pointing me in right direction.

Saving ~EUR37k over 7 years on new houe costs over renting.

Why 7 years? why not say 25 years when you're kids leave for example? Is something projected to happen in 7 years that will force a move?
You're number may come out very different & as such the decisions you make if the 7 year number turns out to be 12 or 15 or 20 years.

Hey thanks for response. Yes, total cost €420k includes all transaction - house cost, Solicitor, stamp duty, furniture, flooring, survey, etc.
Mortgage term = 35 years. first 48 months 3.65 %.
Mortgage repayments - €1432 + €120 (mortgage protection, life insurance, bins & any other cost) = €1552.

I'll rephrase this post and post in Money makeover for feedback.

Thank you so much for pointing me in right direction.
Are you eligible for Help-to-Buy, and if so, how much?
What is the mortgage amount you will be borrowing?

Don't underestimate the non-mortgage costs of owning a home such as property tax, mgmt fees, wear and tear replacement, and TV licence(!). Usually still makes sense to buy all things being equal.

Lot of unknowns to think about also such as what will happen over the next 7 years to (i) house prices in your area, (ii) rent prices and (iii) Irish bank mortgage rates.

What is your commute like? Do you know the area (seem to have done your homework)? How would you feel about living there for 15 years if things took a turn for the worse? Financially what you're proposing seems reasonable / not overly risky... but if you're commuting 1.5 hours then I'd caution against this.

Saving ~EUR37k over 7 years on new houe costs over renting.

Why 7 years? why not say 25 years when you're kids leave for example? Is something projected to happen in 7 years that will force a move?
You're number may come out very different & as such the decisions you make if the 7 year number turns out to be 12 or 15 or 20 years.
Hey. Thank you for response. I am an immigrant and want to go back to my country because of family responsibility. I am in Dublin from last 5 year and recently married. My plan is to stay here for 5-7 more year from 2024 and go back home to look after my family. I am thinking of buying house just to avoid high rent burden.

Are you eligible for Help-to-Buy, and if so, how much?
What is the mortgage amount you will be borrowing?

Don't underestimate the non-mortgage costs of owning a home such as property tax, mgmt fees, wear and tear replacement, and TV licence(!). Usually still makes sense to buy all things being equal.

Lot of unknowns to think about also such as what will happen over the next 7 years to (i) house prices in your area, (ii) rent prices and (iii) Irish bank mortgage rates.
Yes. I am eligible to help-to-buy scheme (€30,000).
Mortgage amount is €3,40,000. Honestly I am considering non-mortgage cost while buying a house.

About prediction of price after 5-7 years.

I did analysis on property price register dataset. I considered unit sold, average price per unit, price difference and trend, rent price.

Based on my calculation If situation is same then price for new build in this area will be €452,201.98 for same house. and old house will be €399,568.33.

To support this I also checked price difference for Kilcock & Manyooth area. I can see almost same trend. If situation is changed then I am assuming that I might be able to sale it for around €380k - €390k Turn key.

I am almost sure that after 5-7 years I'll save almost €40,000 - €45,000 on rent if i buy house.

I might be wrong in my calculations and any thoughts much appreciated.
Screenshot 2023-09-12 at 12.55.34.png

Last edited:
What is your commute like? Do you know the area (seem to have done your homework)? How would you feel about living there for 15 years if things took a turn for the worse? Financially what you're proposing seems reasonable / not overly risky... but if you're commuting 1.5 hours then I'd caution against this.
Thank you for response. commute is 45 -50 minutes city center in morning by car and 1 hour 20 minutes to office by public transport . I work 2 days from office and remaining from home. If things turn worse - I am in my late 20's and can work hard to get back things on track again with new skill sets in IT /computers. My wife is also in her late 20's so we both can work part time in tesco/lidl or anywhere to get things on track.

Commute seems do-able with only two days in the office. I used to commute from nearby (Kilcock, Maynooth) and it was not sustainable long term with family commitments. Too much fell onto my wife as she works locally.

Like your attitude with being willing to take other jobs to get back on track. Best of luck.

Thank you for response. commute is 45 -50 minutes city center in morning by car and 1 hour 20 minutes to office by public transport . I work 2 days from office and remaining from home. If things turn worse - I am in my late 20's and can work hard to get back things on track again with new skill sets in IT /computers. My wife is also in her late 20's so we both can work part time in tesco/lidl or anywhere to get things on track.
Your attitude is a breath of fresh air and a contrast from what can consume the doom and gloom narrative these days about people in their 20's.

Logic seems correct, and all things being equal you would likely save €70-75k over the 7 years on account of the €30k Help-to-Buy you will have as equity in the home when you go to sell.

A further option to increase your wealth by Year 7 would be to avail of the Rent-a-Room relief, where you can earn up to €14k tax free per annum.

Best of luck with everything.

Yes. I am eligible to help-to-buy scheme (€30,000).
Mortgage amount is €3,40,000. Honestly I am considering non-mortgage cost while buying a house.

About prediction of price after 5-7 years.

I did analysis on property price register dataset. I considered unit sold, average price per unit, price difference and trend, rent price.

Based on my calculation If situation is same then price for new build in this area will be €452,201.98 for same house. and old house will be €399,568.33.

To support this I also checked price difference for Kilcock & Manyooth area. I can see almost same trend. If situation is changed then I am assuming that I might be able to sale it for around €380k - €390k Turn key.

I am almost sure that after 5-7 years I'll save almost €40,000 - €45,000 on rent if i buy house.

I might be wrong in my calculations and any thoughts much appreciated. View attachment 7906
Out of curiosity, how did you get the data pulled out from the property price register, especially the way you are able to filter by new/second-hand?

Your attitude is a breath of fresh air and a contrast from what can consume the doom and gloom narrative these days about people in their 20's.

Logic seems correct, and all things being equal you would likely save €70-75k over the 7 years on account of the €30k Help-to-Buy you will have as equity in the home when you go to sell.

A further option to increase your wealth by Year 7 would be to avail of the Rent-a-Room relief, where you can earn up to €14k tax free per annum.

Best of luck with everything.
Thank you for your giving time to read my comments and responding with such lovely way. Really appreciated :).

Out of curiosity, how did you get the data pulled out from the property price register, especially the way you are able to filter by new/second-hand?
You can download all data from 2010 from property https propertypriceregister.ie Please see screenshot.
1. Download and open it via Excel or google sheet and in description section you will be able to see Description of Property. You can use simple technique to filter data and plot charts on top of that to see trends based on nearby area.
Screenshot 2023-09-12 at 18.23.31.png

Forget about trying to forecast house prices.

Assume zero change in price.

Take interest cost - circa 80k over 7 years

Add non redeemable costs - legal fees for purchase, legal fees and agent fees for selling.

Add maintenance costs.

Circa €110k over 7 years. About €1300 a month.

Add any additional costs such as transport compared to where you are living. For arguments sake €200-€300

So "saving" €400-500 per month.

If you sell in 7 years for 30k less than you bought, you'll be ahead. Excluding any grants.

In addition you gain from certainty and not worrying about increase in rent, landlord selling etc.

So probably falls on the positive side when you add all the parts together.

Forget about trying to forecast house prices.

Assume zero change in price.

Take interest cost - circa 80k over 7 years

Add non redeemable costs - legal fees for purchase, legal fees and agent fees for selling.

Add maintenance costs.

Circa €110k over 7 years. About €1300 a month.

Add any additional costs such as transport compared to where you are living. For arguments sake €200-€300

If you sell in 7 years for 30k less than you bought, you'll be ahead. Excluding any grants.

In addition you gain from certainty and not worrying about increase in rent, landlord selling etc.

So probably falls on the positive side when you add all the parts together.
Thank you for responding. It make sense to go for 3 bed house for this particular duration.

Yes but without the flexibility of being able to move and with the risk of a fall in house prices?

Is it worth it? I would say yes in the OP’s case. But consider the risks as well as the benefits.

Back