House improvement grant

Discussion in 'Welfare and state benefits' started by Dodger, Jan 11, 2017.

  1. Dodger

    Dodger Registered User

    I was considering applying for above grant.Spoke to my GP who was not very understanding to my situation. Basically I am on an occupational injuries pension and had to give up work due to my injuries.Now my activity is restricted, movement etc resulting in severe pain.Doctor tells me there are other people more entitled to apply in a worse position then myself on a waiting lists and they cannot get money from council and he would not sign application for me. Do I need my Gp to sign this form or can I get an occupational therapist from HSE to look at me or go back to a consultant.If anyone has found themselves in a similar situation there advice would be appreciated.

    SUZANNE YOUNG New Member

    Doctor can't make a statement like that. If you have medical grounds he is obliged to sign.
  3. Slim

    Slim Frequent Poster

    Last edited: Jan 20, 2017 at 4:00 PM
  4. Bronte

    Bronte Frequent Poster

    My goodness you need to change GP if you can. If you're in severe pain than it's obvious you need help. The fact the budget is restricted is neither here nor there and is no reason for your GP to be the judge of who is or is not deserving. It's very condescening of your pain and situation. It is up to the HSE to decide the merits of your case not your GP.
  5. Dodger

    Dodger Registered User

    Last edited: Jan 21, 2017 at 4:13 PM
    Thank you for your kind replies. I got forms from the local county council,a section of it has to be filled in by my GP with form filled in fully and correctly.however a payment of to 200 euro is payable to OT who will make the final decision.I got in touch with council over the phone they suggested I get a stair lift.There are now three people making the decision OT,council housing officer, my GP.It is my understanding that this money is eu funded and administered by local authority.All medical evidence insists that I cannot work anymore. My intention is to build a bedroom downstairs and the grant would go with savings to build it as I can no longer get a loan from bank.
    Please ensure that the following documentation is included in the application for grant aide
    § Fully completed application form (HGD1);
    § Completed G.P. Medical report (HGD2);
    § Completed Tax Form (HGD3);
    § Evidence of Household Income from all sources;
    § Occupation Therapist’s report. (Unless applying only to change existing bathroom to walk-in shower);
    § 2 written, itemised quotations detailing the cost of the proposed works;
    § Evidence of compliance with Local Property Tax.
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2017 at 4:13 PM
  6. Dodger

    Dodger Registered User

    I would be priority 3
    General Levels of Medical Priority
    Priority 1
    Terminally ill or fully/mainly dependent on family or carer; or where alterations/adaptations would facilitate discharge from (potential long-term stay in) hospital or alleviate the need for (long-term or frequent) hospitalisation in the future
    Priority 2
    Mobile, but needs assistance in accessing washing, toilet facilities, bedroom, etc., or where without the alterations/adaptations the disabled person’s ability to function independently would be hindered
    Priority 3
    Independent, but requires special facilities to improve the quality of life, e.g. separate bedroom/living space