house empty through winter

The key point here is the house is going to be empty anyway so why not take a negative and turn it into a positive .And you don't have the worry of having an empty house,squatters could move in as they have many a time before.
Point taken

Left my house empty for 3 months 2 years ago. Left heating to come on very low for a couple of hours during night.

Family members had key to check post etc. Only 2 problems on my return - the electricity had gone off at some point and all food in the freezer was gone off and my car battery was dead.

Make sure you check your insurance, as most policies don't cover an empty house.

This is by far the most important point. Most policies do not cover you if the house is empty for more than 30 days, although if anything does happen it can be hard for the insurance to know when the house was vacant from (and till).

I was away last year for 3 months and pipes froze and destroyed the place! The problem was not discovered for days. So I second the turning off of water pipes!!!!
I had somebody call once a week but as others have said you would be better off with somebody living in full time if at all possible.

Back