House clearout and disposing of furniture

Up Rovers

Are there any options on disposing of furniture after house clearout? Some items in quite good shape.

I see from this old previous thread that was recommended but they have closed now. I did try Age Action but they appear to have too much stock at the moment.

Not keen on gumtree, donedeal or adverts.ie. Anyone use Oxfam in the past?

A few years ago we were updating our furniture. We tried selling the stuff on DoneDeal. Despite photos and decent sales pitch and attractive price we didn't even get an enquiry. I approached several Charities and they were not interested. Our furniture was good and I thought about just making firewood of it, but just couldn't do it. Eventually, I contacted an active member of the local Church of Ireland and within a few days the furniture was collected by the people who needed it and grateful they were.

If you email the Oxfam store with photos they'll confirm if they are interested, but they won't pick up, you'll need to deliver it. Other options are searching for free cycle groups on facebook

Don't know if they still do it but Vincent de Paul collected nearly all our house clearing furniture in 2014 - everything but beds. Otherwise I'd suggest Adverts - most free items go fairly quickly

SVP in Navan will take furniture in good condition (I guess they have a collection radius). Contacted them yesterday and they collected my 3+2+1 suite this morning. Perfecto.

I sold a house full of furniture 3-4 years ago, mostly on dondeal. Everything from fitted wardrobes to €5 bedside lockers. Sold virtually everything in the end and met some nice people along the way, I'd give it a go if I were you.

I know where you're coming from on not being keen on gumtree and donedeal (I've had very mixed experiences with them) but I've found adverts.ie really good and reliable (works especially well if you're giving things away for free - people have collected from me no problem). Adverts shows people's feedback from other users, so you can see if someone's a time-waster or not.

Freecycle is great if there is a group near you. People have to make arangements with you to collect items. You won't make any money but people will be delighted with what you give them. I've met some very nice people on Freecycle and I was delighted because I knew stuff was going to new home rather than the skip. I've recieved a lot of stuff from people when I really needed it too.

A few years ago I gave a few beds to a second hand furniture shop in Dundalk. They sent a driver to collect so no hassle with having to deal with tom, dick and harry.

They seem to operate around N Leinster / Dublin

A few years ago I gave a few beds to a second hand furniture shop in Dundalk. They sent a driver to collect so no hassle with having to deal with tom, dick and harry.

They seem to operate around N Leinster / Dublin

Hi,

Thanks for that.

Can you tell me if there was a charge for collection? I see they use manwithvan.ie for deliveries.

I have got rid of some stuff lately, tables/chairs/bunk beds, Vincent de Paul collected it all from me. Depending where you are it can be hard sell it, obviously easier in larger centres of population but I find where I am only option is local FB page and I got rid of very little that way, ended up taking smaller stuff to charity shops.

Hi,

Thanks for that.

Can you tell me if there was a charge for collection? I see they use manwithvan.ie for deliveries.
They didn't charge me. I sent a few pictures via email with a description and they said they would be interested in taking the beds and they arranged for a guy to turn up a few days later.

At the time I was happy to get rid of the stuff as was changing bedroom usage.

Back