House buying nightmare: Where to buy in the Kildare/Meath commuter belt?

fr2006

I am looking for some advice. I am currently a first time buyer and looking to purchase my first home. I am currently working in Dublin and houses prices are unreal. I currently have 25K in savings and my SSIA is expiring May 2007 where I contributed to the maximum amount 254 euro per month. I would like to buy now before houses prices increase…. But the problem is where…. I was thinking about Kildare/Meath. Any advice

Re: House buying nightmare

I was thinking somewhere in Meath, that I can communte to work. I can get a mortage for 250k What do you think beachman?

You should have a look at www.myhome.ie - their website is quite good as you can select a maximum price you would like to pay for a house in any county. Good luck!

Hi fr2006, Ashbourne is quite close to Dublin, you could get a nice apartment(maybe even a townhouse) for 250k there. Have you been to myhome.ie website? That site will give you a good idea of prices in the region. Obviously the further you go out the cheaper it gets, could you commute from Navan? a bit far out but good value. Ratoath, Kilmessan & Dunshauglin are nice towns but prices are soaring there.

what about carlow? lots of value down there, about an hour from dublin by train.

Thanks for all your advice. I will look up myhome.ie.. Ashbourne..I must look up and see if there is any new developments. Ratoath, Kilmessan & Dunshauglin seem really pricy but I will do a search and see what is available there.
Thanks again

Have you thought about buying around Enfield or Kinnegad, great infrastructure (new bypass), on the train line (Enfield) etc. They are not as pricey as Kilcock/Maynooth and still good value for money. Lack of new developments is a big downside though.

Where do you have to commute to for work FR.

Avoid the Toll if you can help, time and money drain.

Avoid the Nass road if you can help it, I think a nightmare until the roadworks are finished.

A friend bought in Ashbourne seems like a great place, close to the big smoke as well.

I commute an hour a day

Hi Frank.
Thanks for your response. I work in blanchardstown I was thinking of Ashbourne. What development did you friend buy? I would like to buy in the next coming of weeks. Yeah I would like to avoid the toll at all costs.

Hi
I often travel the N2 northwards in the morning I would hate to have to go the other way from Ashbourne to blanch. they are building houses just off m50 near finglas/ Ballymun what does anyone think of these..
PC

The by-pass for ashbourne is ready in a few weeks so the traffic on the N2 will not be that bad then at least it moves though, Sure the N3 is really bad so imagine going through Dunshaughlin every morning and night. Also the past few weeks the traffic on the N2 has got worse because people have been coming through Ratoath and onto the N2 so they move quicker.

I live in Ashbourne plenty of Pubs, Restaurants shops Nitelink and Gym etc plus the bus service is very good you get into town very quick.

Let me know if you need anymore information.

I know a first time buyer who just bought in Athy - 3 bed end of terrace for less than €190000.00. Less than 5 minutes to train station and then 55 minutes to dublin. Sherry Fitz new homes are the agents for the development ie Branswood athy.

Good hunting

JamesG

I bought in Athy last oct and got a 4 bed semi D for €205000 and in four months the remaining houses are being sold for €240000!!! There is a few estate agents around the town so if you where interested give them a call (i went with sherry fitz) and give them your price range and ask to be shown afew houses new or otherwise.There is alot of new estates being built and the houses are fab, really spacious and good location. I get the train to work into Dublin every morning and it takes between 40 mins to an hour. The town itself has a supervalu and lidl and a few other small shops, with resturants and plenty of pubs and carlow is only about 15mins away in the car. It seems to be up and coming with improvments being made as more commuters move into the town and surrounding areas.

Back