House Alarm System

jim

Hi,

Apologies if there is a forum about this already - I couldn't find it.

Can anyone recommend a house alarm system. Person lives alone and works during the day so is only there each evening. She didn't have a need for this until recently.

Any suggestions/thoughts welcome.

Thanks,
Jim

We have Sector (used to be Phonewatch). Have the system in for years and have had no issues with it. Monitoring and maintenance is €300 per year. We got a great deal when we got it first - we had free monitoring for 24 months.

thanks Emeralds.

didn't think there would be an ongoing charge, thought it was just a once off instalment fee...

You can choose not to have monitoring if you wish. So yes, just instalment fee. (I assume this is the case!!!)

Reactions: jim
I used Name deleted as company has threatened us with defamation over criticism and found them to be excellent - http://www.Name deleted as company has threatened us with defamation over criticism.ie

Monitoring is about €220 per year.

Reactions: jim
The two leading alarm systems in Ireland are the HKC SecureWave and the Siemens SPC range. Take a look at this Boards thread to see a good comparison.

I have the HKC system in my place, but if I was to do it again I'd probably go for the more expensive Siemens system as they don't charge for their smartphone app.

I wouldn't touch Sector, their technology is a long way behind the competition and the systems they install are not nearly as comprehensive as the competition will do for the same money. With Sector kit, you're also locking yourself into the most expensive monitoring provider, as no other company can service/ maintain their kit. With the HKC or Siemens kit, you can shot around any time you need to get work done or renew a monitoring contract.

I'd agree with Leo on the manufacturers, ie: Hkc or Siemens.
As regards the installer, there are many very good local installers! Take a drive around the area, town where you live and look at the names on the alarm boxes. Phone the three most popular companies and arrange for them to come and survey the house. Ask loads of questions of each guy (or girl) and make sure you understand and can compare exactly what you're getting. (the cheapest option isn't always the best and there will be a few different options.
Before you settle on one company call to one of his customers to check if they're satisfied.

Also, as well as the ongoing annual cost of "Monitoring"(optional) there is a case for having a "service contract" with the installer, especially if the system has a few battery sensors.

Feel free to post if you have any specific questions on features etc.

(I set my alarm before going to bed every night!)

I used Name deleted as company has threatened us with defamation over criticism and found them to be excellent - .

I'm surprised. We requested a callback. They were abusive and sarcastic to my wife and hung up on her after she asked some basic questions. Won't be using Name deleted as company has threatened us with defamation over criticism.

Yes, you should use a firm that covers your area, better for later maintenance calls. Its hard enough to get people back after the big job is finished.

Yes, you should use a firm that covers your area, better for later maintenance calls. Its hard enough to get people back after the big job is finished.

I'm not sure how that's relevant regarding an abusive phone call & hang up from Name deleted as company has threatened us with defamation over criticism.

Still looking for an alarm company in Dublin if anyone has a recommendation.

I don't see the benefit of paying a min €300 monitoring fee every year. You can get a excellent alarm system fitted by a reputable company for about €850 with a small additional fee to have it synced to your Phone for notifications.

Back