House Alarm - 2 women on their own

shaking

My 90 year old grandmother was lured to the front door yesterday while someone else climbed in the bedroom window and grabbed cash and jewelery. She lives with my mother it's just the two of them in the house. They have an alarm but it's not linked into the police station, is the only monitored option eircom phone watch or can you link a regular alarm to the police station and if so is it worth doing or do you think an alarm going off would be fairly low down on their list of priorities?

Thats terrible for them. The gardai always come pretty quick when our alarm goes off. Many if not all alarms can be be monitored not just eircom phonewatch.

u can get a house alarm but also for older people u can get an alrm that is linked to the phone and calls a central operator if u press the button..
the buttons can be fixed or u can carry one with u.. once pressed the operator comes on and asks if u are ok.. if not they call who ever is needed.. if u don't answer they call the list of next ok kin numbers they keep on file for you
apologies i don't know the name of it but the loal community Garda will or the local health nurse should do.. it only costs a couple of hundred a year to use the service

You may more importantly have to address the zones and/or settings for the alarm. Also a panic button may give them a better sense of security.

You can set moderm alarms to be Away, Stay or Night. That means that certain sensors would be alarmed even if you were in the house. So a PIR on your side entrance or back garden could be set all day and would alarm in the event of an intruder.

I don't think a daylight robber would continue with an alarm going off whether they had an idea it was monitored or not.

thanks for the replies, I've made a few calls and are waiting for people to get back to me

I have a relative (in law) who suffers from alzheimers. She has started to wander at night now, and lives with her son, who would not be in a position to be able to watch out for her. Her other relatives live very close (up the road), and my understanding is they dont want her to loose her independence until absolutely neccessary.

I'v thrown in a few alarms in my time, my own, and a few others as favours for relatives etc (none that I got paid for!!), so they asked me if I could put in a monitored system that would ring them if any of the doors etc were opened at night. The ones I have put in for myself and relatives, do pretty much that, and allow you to ring in and listen for activity should the alarm go off, so it would suit this women. They rang one of the local community based schemes to see if they would put in a monmitored system for her, and they said they could not (not sure why, maybe its a liability thing), hence them asking me to do it.

As I said, I dont do it for a living, and have only ever done it as a favour, but with the recent PSA law requiring you to be registered, I cant do it, but dont quite know how to tell them, they will think I am fobbing them off.
Talk about regulation tying your hands!!! Anyone any recommendations ?
Wexfordman

Back