Hotpoint Dishwasher Problem. Error 8

Drakon

My Hotpoint LFT228A integrated dishwasher is no longer working properly. When I open the door the cycle hasn't finished in the normal time, the dishes are not clean and the inside is warm but not hot and steaming like it usually would.
I've tried a few different cycles and it behaves like this with them all, though once when I opened it there were blinking lights and the display flashing '8'.
Google searches suggest a problem with the thermistor or the heating element. Further googling suggests a complicated fix and/or €125+ service engineer visit.
I was wondering if any members have had the issue?
BTW, the house was built in 2007 and we moved in last year. I'm guessing the washer is seven or eight years old.

I put on a few different cycles yesterday and found no improvement.
Persevered to success though. Another cycle got the load washed. Followed by a boil wash and another load overnight.
Hopefully it's fixed itself but I fear a replacement may be needed in the near future.

If you pay a service engineer a bill which could easily get towards €150,you are half way to a brand new integrated Zanussi with an A energy rating .
Or,you could have a fixed but essentially end of life machine,which will do you till it breaks down again.
I'd always go for replacement...

Hi - make sure that the dishwasher outlet pipe is clear - build up of "gunk" caused mine (different model to yours) to behave the same...

Did you download the manual and check out the troubleshooting for the '8' problem?

I had a Hotpoint dishwasher (not your model) for 12 or more years and found it to be an excellent machine but it died a death recently.

Seems a lot to spend on repair and would probably be best to add to new purchase instead.

Worthwhile getting extended warranty...not normally something I would advocate but worked for me

Worthwhile getting extended warranty...not normally something I would advocate but worked for me

These are generally very poor value for money, but when it works out for you...happy days.

Personally would not fix a 7-8 year old dishwasher if its going to cost that kind of money to repair. It looks like with labour and part(s) you will be €200 or more? Buy a new one.

Be careful though, dishwashers have been well known to catch fire so if your error is related to the heating element I would certainly buy a new one. Our thermostat went in our dishwasher just a few weeks ago and when we took out the machine from under the counter there were scorch marks on the back of it, it was one step away from going on fire.

At the very least get someone to check it if you are keeping it. We paid €50 to get a local repair guy to have a look at ours so once we saw that we bought new.

Did you download the manual and check out the troubleshooting for the '8' problem?
Yeah, downloaded it. There are a few error codes given but not '8'!
It's been working fine since so all's well.
Washing the sump filter didn't seem to have any effect but maybe I dislodged something in that area without realising it.
Integrated appliances look great but they are a nuisance to install, repair or replace.
Thanks for the replies.

I recently fixed my integrated Beko dishwasher. A small piece of debris made it through the filter to the drain pump. I had to remove the dishwasher from the cabinet, put it upside down and then a simple anti-clockwise twist removed the drain pump. The debris fell out so I put it back together and everything was fine again. I would have felt ripped off if I had to pay €150+ for a call out.

Sometimes it pays to have a go yourself especially if the dishwasher is out of warranty.

If you Google the model number and the fault it comes back with a faulty thermostat. Its not an easy fix and one that I would generally class as requiring an engineer to look at. Sorry.
I always Google issues first before calling the service departments - to date have saved 3 callouts for dishwasher and tumble dryer.

Back