Hotel say we have to pay extra on top of vouchers

Rambo

Hi,

My wife received a present of a voucher for a 2 night stay, bed and breakfast and a dinner in a hotel in 2013. We haven't got around to using this yet, but my wife rang the hotel today to try and book a date to use the voucher and the lady who she was dealing with, informed her that we would have to pay extra on top of the value of the voucher as the hotels prices have changed since then.

This works out at around an extra €200.

Is this common? Has anyone experienced something like this before?

Thanks,
Rambo.

I'm surprised they are still honouring the voucher two years later. I got a voucher for similar and it was valid for twelve months only.

I think the hotel is entitled to ask for the difference two years later.

Look at it this way .... they could have refused to accept the voucher after two years.

If theres no terms n conditions, use by date etc....id fight this....if room prices had gone down in this hotel, would they have refunded the difference...no...

email manager,

have hotels gone up in value?

I recently found a fish n chip shop voucher for buy 2 meals get 1 free coupon out of paper, had whole page so dated....it was five years old, shop took it laughing....

200 quid extra sounds and awful lot. I'd try as per Sandals, especially if there is no expiry date

There was someone on from the national consumer agency, on radio the other day and said she does not like the fact that many vouchers have a use by date.

Some companies even go so far as reducing the value of the voucher after a period of time has elapsed.

Something like 50% (I think) of vouchers are never used.

I think its reasonable to have a use by date, say 2yrs for both sides.

pudds. I would take the opposite view. I think they should be treated similarly to currency.

pudds. I would take the opposite view. I think they should be treated similarly to currency.

But what happens if a business is trading under an old name and could be a small business that is struggling.

I'm on the side of the consumer, but 2yrs limit would clean the whole thing up and companies could close their books on vouchers for that period. Never in bus meself unfortunately, or should that be 'fortunately':D

Hi all,

Thanks for your replies.

There is no expiry date on the voucher and the only terms and conditions are that we could use the voucher in one of their other hotels.

I think we will contact the manager to get some clarity on this.

Thanks again.

Back